HybridZ

Sway bars from other makes/models

Guest ON3GO

since everybody on this site is awesomely insane and im sure a few people have found sway bars from other makes and models that can work on our Z's.

i thought terry did but i couldnt find any of the threads.

basicly i wanna get sway bars for my blue Z but i dont really have the cash to spend on ST ones or a aftermarket brand, i mean i do but i rather try and get another cars set to work.

the 280zx front bar fits on our Z's that i know (unless im wrong) so i was gonna get one of those from a junk yard, but the rear im stumped.

everytime i have a car on the lift at work i always look at the sway bars to see if i can get them to work on my Z but so far i havent found one that looks close.

any ideas?

mike

PM Matman. He has a ST rear bar for a 280Z that has no end links and no brackets. You're smart enough to figure that stuff out, and I'm sure he'd give you a good deal on it.

Terry used a Honda Prelude bar, then was going to try a 2wd Toyota truck front bar IIRC. He also bends them to fit with a press, so they don't just fit right up. One important thing to note is that Terry has the bar mounted to the uprights in the back like the ST bar for a 240Z. Your 280Z already has brackets to mount the bar in the front of the diff. I think if you want to mount the bar in front of the diff then you'd pretty much be stuck with a 280Z bar because that space is so tight. If you went to mount it in the back you'd either have to make your own mounts or get them off of a 240Z that had a ST bar at one time.

The closest ones for the rear that I've found were front bars for the British cars (old MGs, Spitfires, etc). Even these need some slight work. The one that I used on the back of mine is a question mark now. I cannot remember for sure what the donor car was (I looked at sooooooooo many).

ya i thought about the rear bar mounting problem.

i have a set of bars that i got from Sparky that are super thick for my green Z but havent put them on yet. wonder how those mount.

ill contact mat..

mike

I am planning to fab up a "ala Terry adjuster" placing the sway bar in the rear or behind the diff. One thought was to obtain a small diameter (3/4 or 1 inch) splined 37 1/2 inch long sway bar with the removable sway bar arms that Stock cars use. From what I have seen, sway bars mounted in front of the diff on a severe lowered Z rub everything in close proximity. I guess I will find out if 37 1/2 inches will work back there. With progressive springs a smal diameter sway bar would be apropriate and easily changeable along with high rate regular coil overs.

This is exactly the method I will adopt as well for future tuning. A company that I've corresponded with will make them any length (other than their "standard" length of 37.5") for an additional $25 dollars. These splined bars are priced reasonably, but the arms are a little pricy (between $40 and $80 per arm).