HybridZ

IS 220d a good import?

rudypoochris

Hey. So I am in italy, and decided to check out some italian car magazines. So I am flipping through Quattro Route or something of the sort and stumble upon the new Lexus IS. Cool. My father has a GS, likes it, but we always bitch about the lack of a stick shift. I know the new IS 250 has a stick, which is cool, but it still isn't enough of a reason for us to get a more compact car (my dad is getting older and he wants bigger cars, like an LS, my mom is quite opposed to this and wants a gs or smaller). SO basically in europe there is something facisnating called the IS 220d. It is a 2.2L diesel as the name suggests. I always wanted to own a diesel and this looks like a little gem. 177hp at 3,600 rpm and 300Lbft from soemthing like 2000-2600. Gets 52 mpg freeway!!!!! 36 city, 44.8 mpg combined. Now the issue is importing it, but wait since it is a diesel it is smog exempt right?? What problems might I run into other then smog? The car looks and weighs pretty much the same as the US spec stuff so maybe it has the same safety gear built in. Will this be difficult to import? Also, will it be excepted at US lexus dealerships for warrenty and maintanance?

Note: If i can import this I bet the car will feel boat loads better then the US spec model becuse the italian market likes the cars considerably sportier. I hope for increased spring rates and a more responsive engine :).

Double Note: It makes 0-100kmph (0-62 mph) in 8.9 Seconds. That isn't mind numbingly fast but it is fast enough for me and my parents. Since it has a turbo how difficult/safe would it be to extract a few more PSI from it (sorry i dont know much about TD's)

i don't know much about the car, but that kind of gas mileage sounds REAL good. if you can get your hands on one for reasonably cheap, then why the heck not?

are they RHD?

if so, DEFINETLY get one. it would just be cool to have a car that little to no people have!

You will have to comply with U.S. DOT regulations headaches from little things like turn signal lenses complying with DOT to crash safety standards of your bumper to the airbags. If you can wait five more years diesel standards in the US are changing and Lexus might bring it in by then.

Here are some links

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12929-1890874,00.html

http://www.autoweek.nl/newsdisp.php?cache=no&ID=4215

The Lexus IS 220d, due for launch in the UK in January 2006, is equipped with Lexus’s first diesel engine. The all-aluminium, four-cylinder, 2.2-litre common rail direct injection unit delivers the power and refinement demanded by Lexus, with 175bhp (177 DIN hp) produced at 3,600rpm and 400Nm of torque between 2,000 and 2,600rpm. Preliminary, pre-homologation figures show 0-62mph acceleration in 8.9 seconds and a top speed of 134mph.

The IS 220d is also the cleanest premium diesel model available, thanks to the application of Lexus Clean Diesel Technology. A series of engine features reduce combined levels of nitrogen oxides (NOx) and particulate matter (PM) emissions to levels well below Euro IV standards and those proposed for Euro V.

rudypoochris,

Through my work, I have dealt with importing issues like this before:). Lexus USA will not honor the warranty on the vehicle if you take it out of its home country. Mainly because this engine and many related parts are not even available in the U.S. If there is ever any problem with the car, such as any kind of part failures, or you lose your keys, Lexus cust service will not be able to help. I know it sounds kind of harsh, but they will only refer you to Lexus of Italy for assistance.

Your best bet is to deal with an importer/exporter of vehicles to see if they can assist you with getting the 220d over here. I don't blame you, it does sound like a pretty cool car. Unfortunately, the car market is not as international as we would all like it to be. Check http://www.dmv.ca.gov to search for more info.

i don't know much about the car' date=' but that kind of gas mileage sounds REAL good. if you can get your hands on one for reasonably cheap, then why the heck not?

are they RHD?

if so, DEFINETLY get one. it would just be cool to have a car that little to no people have![/quote']

No offense but for me to get a RHD lexus in the USA would be pretty much the dumbest idea ever. What would the point be? I would have to learn to drive stick with my left hand and no one would want to buy it after I am through with it.

Ya, it seems that lexus wouldn't support it, but that might not be too big of a deal since i go to italy every 6 months and can pickup parts if i need. I don't want to do the routine maintanance stuff though, modern cars are just so complex. I will think about it, 45mph combined is pretty sweet even if it only makes it to 60 in 8 and some. Plus the diesel should drive like a dream in the city, I am a torque guy.

not much to do on a diesel.just change the oil,air filter and make sure the fuel is clean with no water.europe has great diesel cars-i have heard of a 5 series bmw that gets 30+ mpg cruising at 100mph.its the nox emissions standards that kill diesel cars here.

But do diesel cars have to be emissions tested?

I dont know about the rest of the country but in Texas they don't. The only reason i can see why that Lexus can't be brought here is because of the grade of diesel we use. Over there the diesel is a better grade compared to the muck we use in the States. That's the reason to wait a couple of years for the new diesel regulations which will give us higher quality diesel and maybe more choices in diesel powered cars and mini trucks or big trucks too.