HybridZ

Zeering u-joints

OK I checked the steering u joints. The lower one at the rack is good tight and soild. The upper near the firewall is worn and needs replacement. A couple of quick questions before tearing into things.

What is the best method of removal?

What should I pay attention to during the removal and or installation process?

Where to source a replacement part?

Looks like I will have to 'drop' the steering collum to slide out the inner shaft conneted to this joint. Is this correct?

Again, Thanks Everyone!

Brian

Picture_3222223.jpg

Found out this part is no longer available from Nissan. And the u-joint itself can't be replaced.....

When I bought all my tons of parts, i found a complete steering u-joint that had been torch-cut off the steering rod! (I also found a set of springs that had been torch-cut and rewelded together with electrical tape for a cover!!!)

• 8 months later...
Brian

Did you find a replacement for the worn u-joint?

No I didn't. I am still living with the slop in it. The rest of the steering is soild.

Larry, Thanks for the link. I will check into it. Without mods though I can't see just replacing the joint as it appears its an assembly to the flanges. Also I noticed my 71' is different in this joint area compared my 78' parts car.

Wish I could find a good used oem replacement out of a Z...

Brian