HybridZ

Hydrostatic Actuators? DEVAS? Where can I find more information?!?!?

beren

As seen in this post by TonyD. I'm interested in more information on the camless idea. Right now (and for the foreseeable future) it's an academic interest, but I'm trying to find some good resources so I can read up on it, but I'm coming up pretty dry.

Does anyone have any resources or other info they can share or point me to? Grumpyvette? (Don't even know if he reads this subforum...) TonyD?

Thanks in advance...

I swore to gawd I posted Lance's information.

There is someone who will build you a cylinder head for around $15,000.

If you are unwilling to invest that much, I hesitate to give out his information. The stuff is there in the links if you go backwards from my original sourcing.

I just don't want him pestered with a bunch of questions from people who are not going to actually buy the thing from him.

Sorry, but I have to use him for some of my stuff, and I don't want him P.O. for me causing him grief with a bunch of callers wasting his time.

Yeah, I don't want to sound coarse, but I clicked on two links on that page and found contact information. Please if you aren't serious to that level of commitment don't bother him, I don't need that kind of grief when I go into the shop, and really can't afford for him to be P.O. at me.

Hey, no worries here. No, I'm not willing to pay 15 grand for a head, but I'm also not gonna pester people about it. If it's on the web, I'll read it, but I try not to actively annoy people for information. I'll go back and re-read the thread for any info I might have over-looked.

I guess I was a bit disappointed about how little info google found when I put in "DEVAS" and "camless".

Guest Phil1934

Try SAE paper SP-956 Variable Valve Actuation and Control for info on electric solenoids. The forces are high and response speed drops with size, which is why electric has not come already.

• 1 year later...

In a system like this, is it possible to use lower spring pressures, since there is no valve float due to lack of a camshaft?

Will using a lower spring pressure cause any compression sealing issues?

also, would this allow you to cut off all oil going to the head? since you are not running a timing chain there is no need to lubricate that, and there is no camshaft, so is oil still necessary up there?

F1 teams are using this technology, but all their operations are hush hush.

Actually the phrase "Springs, where we're going, we don't need springs!"

First is the pneumatic spring, basically an air chamber sealed by o-rings that can close the valves---the springrate is infinately variable by the pressure in the chamber.

Second, the DEVAS system uses electrohydraulic actuators, there are no springs. Hydraulic pressure is counterbalanced to move the valve like a spool valve in any other Hydraulic System. The key to the control you need for the opening and closing rates is the piezo control of the orifices diverting the flow to open or close side. This is similar to peizo control of Diesel Fuel Injectors.

There is also (from what I understand) a system whereby the solenoids CLOSE the valves, and Hydraulics, or opposing Solenoids OPEN the valve. By using PWM signals to the two solenoids on each valve, you can infinately vary opening and closing rates, lift, and etc...

Engine oil would most likely not be required on the top end of the engine for anything after the conversion.

i looked into this a good bit a while back... I think it would be much simpler to use a rotating valve setup rather than a convential valve... Rotating valve have been proven to flow more, and it would be easier to control... the only problem is sealing the valve effectively.

I'm just wondering if the hydraulics can keep up. The website states that 25K RPM is achievable (for the valve train, I assume). I have my doubts about that. I'm no mechanical engineer but this just seems logically incredible to me. That said I do WANT this to work. If it does work as well as their website inplies these will eventually become common... and therefore affordable!!