HybridZ

I just got a free car

Guest Anonymous

I cant say enough good things about the Corollas; specifically the late 70's-early 80's.

I have owned 2, my mother has owned 1 (w/438,000miles on it & the engine has never been cracked open), my brother has owned 1 & my dad has owned a few.

The 2TC (1.6) engine & 3TC (1.8) are pretty much bulletproof if you do the preventive maintanence.

One thing to look out for is the Cat.Converter and depending on what year you have you may also have a Pre-Cat.Converter; when either one of these things go bad you will wonder why you dont have power. Then you will replace the Cat.Converter & still wonder why there is no power-when all along your problem was the Pre-Cat.Converter.

The only week point I have ever found on the 2TC or 3TC engines were the water pumps. I drove mine 200 miles round trip everyday (all hwy miles) for about 6 years; and ended up going thru a water pump about every 45-60k miles.

These engines are really amazing-they are the automotive worlds version of the Energizer Bunny Rabbit; they just keep going & going & going...ect.

I've always thought about putting an R22 in one of those Corollas but never got around to it: that would be a fun little puddle jumper.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Guest Anonymous

wow sounds like it would be a good car for a poor college boy. I talked to my freind and he said my boss(the guy who gave me the car and who owns the bodyshop i work at) can put a mechanics lean on the car and hopefully get it titled for me. If not its rally cross time rockon.gif

Guest Anonymous

ok its a 70s something Toyota Corolla 4 door hatchback either a 4 or 5 speed (i havent driven it yet)with no title. But hey its RWD and its free and hopefully it'll make a good rally car. cheers.gif

RWD Corollas are BOSS! I have one too. If its not an SR5 model then it will have the T40 4speed gearbox. Good news is you can make a trip to the scrap yard get a 5speed (T50) gearbox and voila (and all bolt in too!).

Also you will probably have the 2TC engine. And they are extremely stout engines - this is the same family of engines that are propelling many of the 9second Puerto Rican Drag Cars.

If you have any questions on the car let me know and I can help you out - as I am huge Toyota nutta.

Congrats on your new acquisition.

Yasin

• 4 weeks later...

Yup, bought an SR-5 liftback new back in '80. Drove it 92,000 miles before I sold it in '86 to buy my first Z (77). Terriffic little car. Paint and body survived 3 New York winters with no signs of rust. Only thing that ever broke on it was the starter -the day before I sold it.