HybridZ

Help me install my S30 suspension (pics)

I didn't think I was exaggerating...

827898_87_full.jpg

I guess the springs were reversed at some point, but the rear ride height seems OK. I bought this car with no front suspension, and the struts were assembled but not attached to the car.

With no engine is a different story altogether. You've got boots on the struts, but if you didn't I think you'd find that the struts are pretty much topped out. The front end of the car is very light so there just isn't enough weight to compress the spring.

If you just stuck the engine in and it looked the same, that's probably due to the tires being "under" the suspension. If you roll the car back and forth the side load comes off of the tires and the suspension will settle in.

To think about it another way: If you figure that your LT1 and radiator and hood and all the other little odds and ends weigh (for argument's sake) 700 lbs altogether, then you would have to have 700 in/lb springs for it to only sag 1/2 under the weight of the engine, assuming that the weight of the engine was carried only by the front struts and equally side to side. This doesn't include possible transmission weight some of which would also go to the front struts too.

I think the Tokico springs are ~140 in/lbs. The stiffest springs I know of for the stock spring perch like you have in the pic is the 180 in/lb springs. So those would compress at least 2-3 inches.

So something still isn't right. Maybe the suspension was not settled before, maybe the struts are frozen or something, but it should compress a lot more than 1/2".

Finished with the rears today. I decided to hold off on the bushings untill I have the proper tool, only so much I can take doing in the ice and snow.

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

Cant complain about ride height. I think the wheels will move outwards more once I have moved it.

I'll be interested to see how your fronts come out... I dissected my front struts tonight & found only 1 had a bumpstop :mad:. The springs uncompressed are 15" tall. I have no idea if this is normal, and I can see they were red at one point in time.

I'll be interested to see how your fronts come out... I dissected my front struts tonight & found only 1 had a bumpstop :mad:. The springs uncompressed are 15" tall. I have no idea if this is normal, and I can see they were red at one point in time.

Yeah I didnt have any bumpstops so far, just some thick playdough-esque grime caked all over my suspension. And I only have 100k miles. Must be the salt. My stock springs were also much taller than the Tokicos decompressed.

Good weather today and I'll take some pics of the fronts.