HybridZ

Identify Valve Material?

Tony D

Annybody know of an available commercial tincture or something to I.D. the material of the valves in my new E88 head?

I have the possibility of having some Titanium Valves in a head I bought, and wondered how (short of weighing them after disassembly) one could tell with the head assembled?

Scratch a head with a SS valve? (eeh!)

Dyno sheet and build sheet is nebulous, but valves on head build sheet are listed "DelWest" and to me that means Ti... Engine was making power to the 8700 range. Metallurgy is not annotated otherwise. I am waiting for the head to be delivered, so when I get it here, I'm hoping to I.D. them or do some measurements to verify that the build sheet corresponds to what I find on the head, to rule out a mistake of being supplied the incorrect build sheet for the head.

So how do I satiate my curiosity when it arrives?

Anyone? Bueller?

You can usually tell by looking. Unpolished 6AL-4V looks like steel with a light charcoal/brown color. Should be non-magnetic. Also, check the retainers for some type of coating or treatment. AL or steel retainers will gall Ti so some type of coating is needed (most likely cad).

BTW... Delwest also sells stainless and steel valves.

http://www.delwestusa.com

I have nothing further to add, other than "yeah, stick a magnet on it" I guess it all depends on the alloy though, doesnt it? although, from what I recall, usually ther isnt enough ferrous metals in commercially available Ti alloys to make it magnetic.

then agian, depending on the SS alloy, THAT could also be non-magnetic.

meh, is the head on a block? or is it just a head? if its just a head, pulling a valve is reaally not that had, but you knew that.

p.s. movie quote for movie quote... I quite often find myself asking "Where DOES he get those wonderful TOYS?"

You can usually tell by looking. Unpolished 6AL-4V looks like steel with a light charcoal/brown color. Should be non-magnetic. Also' date=' check the retainers for some type of coating or treatment. AL or steel retainers will gall Ti so some type of coating is needed (most likely cad).

BTW... Delwest also sells stainless and steel valves.

http://www.delwestusa.com[/quote']

I know they have an SS line, but the power peak on this engine way 8700, and was apparently twisted to 9K during races. The cam profile was "unique" and alas, I do not have the cam to go with it---I will have to talk to Ron I. and have him grind me something. Looking forward to it showing up so I can test it.

I know when ground, Ti gives brilliant white sparks. I have a bunch of Ti billet ends from when ILM was still down on 180th and Western (The Two Big Smoke Stacks on the south side of the 405 SB) They were the place that forged a lot of the SR71 stuff. Man, what a dive when it was in operation.

But I got some cool little bits that always make people scratch their heads when they get it in their hand. I suppose weighing one or two will pretty well tell the tale.

Thanks, Guys!