HybridZ

Well I found my next set of "wheels"

Hmmm I wouldn't think those could be used for a fast moving car in a turn.

They are interesting non the less. I bet you'll start seeing em' on rock crawlers.

Isk

Funny from horse cars with spoke wheels to air tires, back to horse car wheels, only difference is spokes that go back to shape. Michelin must have been waiting for the horse caraige(sp?) wheel patent to run out. :D I wonder if the lateral resistance would hold up on a D1 drift machine? :shock: And how much it transfers hits to the suspension? It looks llike it would be better in a slow moving application, but that is not what Audi is about so all I can say is good for them and it's great to look back at an earlier idea and rebuild upon it with modern advances, but then again what the hell do I know. :icon52:

Well if you read it say: "Michelin has also found that it can tune Tweel performances independently of each other, which is a significant change from conventional tires. This means that vertical stiffness and lateral stiffness can both be optimized, pushing the performance envelope in these applications and enabling new performances not possible for current inflated tires. The Tweel prototype, demonstrated on the Audi A4, (the tweel) is within five percent of the rolling resistance and mass levels of current pneumatic tires. That translates to within one percent of the fuel economy of the OE fitment. Additionally, Michelin has increased the lateral stiffness by a factor of five, making the prototype unusually responsive in its handling."

I believe in Laymens terms this means they would be awesome drift tires and would be the BEST autoX/RallyX tires.........also $^%#ing AW SOME DRAG SLICKS!!! just think NO Tire growth at all...... this although will possibly bring back retreading... something most of you don't rember......

Interesting concept! However, I don't think I'd get too excited until you start seeing these tweels show up on circuit cars! Might make a decent off-road tire.

I doubt it...I don't think regulations will allow it. it would be unfair to teams that aren't Mich. users... and you think Goodyear or Perrlli will allow them to monopolize all auto-sports without a fight... if Mich has a GOOD patent.... they will be the only ones making them.