HybridZ

Mounting a 4 or 5 point harness

HB280ZT

Hi All,

Well did a search and found some information about how to mount the rear parts of the 4 or 5 point harness but nothing on how or where to mount the lap and sub belts. So if anyone has information and pictures that would be great.

Thanks

HB280ZT

I ran the shoulder belt (Y type) over a harness bar on my Autopower roll bar. The lap belt I bolted into the stock holes over the stock seatbelts. That way I could run the stock belt on the street and then run the 4 point at the track. I didn't ever hook up the submarine belt, but I did get some gigantic flatwashers with it to put on either side of the floor. I think I'm going to weld a plate to the floor and run the sub belt when I get this thing back up and running instead of using the washers. Most guys hook the shoulders to the cage itself or to the rear strut tower bar, preferrably a welded in tube across the towers.

Jon,

Thanks for your post. That is what I was thinking about doing but I just wanted to see what other people did incase someone came up with something different that worked.

I was also wondering if anyone has tired the clip on type of harness? That way when you are not racing you just unclip the lap and sub belt. The harness attaches to a eye bolt, that way like I said you could remove them when not in use. I saw this awhile back but can not find it again.

Also with factory 1977 style high back seat which type of harness did you all use? I am looking at attaching it to the strut tower mounting brace on a tab welded to the mount. I am looking at the strut tower brace from PDK.

Any .02 would be great.

HB280ZT

I have Simpson 4 point hooked up about like Jon said. Lap belts to the stock locations and sholder belts hooked to a strut tower bolt. Many people on this site strongly recommend against the strut tower bolt, but when I auto X 'd many years ago that was how everyone did it.

I also replaced my 1970 vintage fixed lap and sholder belts with a three point retractable unit for the street. The 4 point unit is too restrictive for street use, but for auto X'ing it worked well to hold me in the seat. Safety was a secondary concern for me, hence no submarine belt.

I am also interested in this topic.

So with a 4 point, would it be safe to mount the lap belt section to where the old seat belt mounts are? And then mount the shoulder straps to the horizontal support of the roll bar?

edit: stupid me, I didn't read the last entry.:twak:

I have a 5 point and have (like others) skipped the sub belt since I do not have a hole in my seat for it. Lap belts are double bolted in the stock locations, shoulder belts attached to the roll bar.

I recently saw a sub belt bracket for in a friend's Vette that was a bar that mounts with the 2 rear seat bolts. The sub belt is attached to this bar and fed between the seat back and bottom and you sit on the sub belt and it comes up between your legs and attaches. I am going to make one for my car similar to that.

http://www.livermoreperformance.com/camaro_vette_safety.html

http://www.bkauto.com/corvette/r9130.php