HybridZ

DA Sander

Bartman

I need to get a DA Sander to help prepare my car for a paint job. I'm not a professional, but I need a sander that will last long enough to complete my project and not use up too much air doing it.

Harbor Freight has a DA sander for $29.99 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=2629. Is this adequate for the job I need to do?

Here's the spec's if you don't want to use the link:

Pad motion resists loading for better finishes and less heat build-up.

• Cast aluminum housing
  • Cushion-grip vinyl handle and housing cover
  • Paddle-style throttle for precise speed control

Speed: 10,000 RPM max; Required pressure: 90 PSI; 4 CFM @ 90 PSI; Air inlet: 1/4'' NPT; Recommended hose size: 3/8''; Overall length: 8-7/8''; Tool weight: 4-1/4 lbs.

BTW, I can't complain too much about other stuff I've been using from Harbor Freight. I'm sure it would be different if I used these tools to make my living, but for my application they seem to fit the bill. The Harbor Freight el cheapo grinder I've been using with cutoff wheels has been working fine, and I use it quite a bit.

I use a Black and Decker electric DA sander for my body work. All of the paint prep sanding I do by hand with a block sander. I have one of the harbor freight DA sanders and after I got my electric DA sander I have never taken it out of the tool box again.

I use a Black and Decker electric DA sander for my body work. All of the paint prep sanding I do by hand with a block sander. I have one of the harbor freight DA sanders and after I got my electric DA sander I have never taken it out of the tool box again.
I've heard people mention electric DA Sanders before...but I can never find them. Is Random Orbit the same thing as DA. It seems that the electric sanders use the Random Orbit terminology and the air sanders use the Dual Action terminology. Is this correct?

...Is Random Orbit the same thing as DA...

I just answered a question about sanders in another thread. Check out the last post in this thread

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=107455

To answer your original question, yes I believe if you're just doing one car and you're not going to take up bodywork for a living, the cheese ball thirty dollars sander will work fine. In fact it would be dumb to buy a good one. Like cheap spray guns, the cheap sanders seem to work pretty good at first.

An important warning about DA sanders... don't drop it. If you do, it could bend the shaft and then it will have a mean wobble.