HybridZ

STI R180 in a ZX

Jason81NA,82RBtt

I took a gamble and bought a 2004 WRX STi R180 LSD rear end. I was hoping that a Z car's axle would fit. They don't the splines are too small and a R200 splines are to large. Here are some of the ideas that I come up with. Seeing if I can get the R200 stubs machined down to the correct size and resplined.OR, I have heard that you can get the 300zx rear CV axles shorted to fit a 70-78 Z car. Then it would seem that I could get a pair of STi rear CV axles and get them converted over to the 280zxT or the 300zxT outter CV joints. Whinch one of these sound like the cheapest and the best way of doing this. I think that if WE can come up with a cheap and fairly easy way to get this rear-end in our cars, it would be an alturnative to the 300zx's harder and harder to find LSD. PS. having taken this rear end apart I can't see any reason that this newer R180 would any weaker that the current R200.

I took a gamble and bought a 2004 WRX STi R180 LSD rear end. I was hoping that a Z car's axle would fit. They don't the splines are too small and a R200 splines are to large. Here are some of the ideas that I come up with. Seeing if I can get the R200 stubs machined down to the correct size and resplined.OR, I have heard that you can get the 300zx rear CV axles shorted to fit a 70-78 Z car. Then it would seem that I could get a pair of STi rear CV axles and get them converted over to the 280zxT or the 300zxT outter CV joints. Whinch one of these sound like the cheapest and the best way of doing this. I think that if WE can come up with a cheap and fairly easy way to get this rear-end in our cars, it would be an alturnative to the 300zx's harder and harder to find LSD. PS. having taken this rear end apart I can't see any reason that this newer R180 would any weaker that the current R200.

Have you ever considered parts out of the R180 CV's from Automatic ZX's or 1st Generation Maximas?

If its the same type of Subaru center I had, stub axles from a K case R180 diff slid right in. Make sure the R180 axles are the later version which are thicker at the spline area than the early Z ones, don't know the year they came in but some time in the '80's? Also don't know the situation as to US models.

Yes, there is a larger K on the top of the housing. Is that what I need to look for when getting the Maxima axles. Also there are no spider gears in this LSD, so that option is out of the question.

I had a K Box R180 that I slid my R180 Axles into. But if this is a 240Z, the axles might be too long. I am currently rebuilding my R180 axles with the shorter R200 axle to make it shorter to fit my Maxima companioin flanges.