HybridZ

New Headlight design

Drftn280zxt

I knoiw this is kinda point less to post with out pictures, but I have conceptualized another headlight design for the 280zx. Instead of the prior deisgn that included the staggered setup with a small projector up front and a larger LED prokector unit the new design still uses the LED's and the small projector, but it one unit. When I draw a larger rendition I'll post one up. Basically I enlarged the LED prjector unit and in the middle of it I put the XENON projector. So it an Xenon projector with LEDs around it. I think you'll find this new design better fits the 280zx, it still is aggresive, but it keeps more of the original headlight bucket design. Plus I find this new design looks better with the widebody kit I designed and it really does compliment the tailights I designed better.

Till I get drawrings up stay on your toes, this design is IMO beautiful. You could really drool over these headlights.

Guest 280ZForce
Have you done a write up on how to make those kick A** headlights?

His or mine? I believe he makes his. I had mine custom made, but they are one-offs imported from Germany, w/ high quality projectors that are not even available here in the US.

Guest 280ZForce
s30 and s130's use the same headlights...

yes, i know, but the body of the car and the headlight bucket r different. Drftn280zxt thought the projectors he made looked better on a s130, i was just stating i have projectors on my s30.

I like the way the lights look' date=' but am not so keen on the front air dam piece.

My .02.[/quote']

I know the air dam is aggressive, but it is all for a good cause. In making this design I sought to achieve three things. A) add some modern flare to the S130's front B) Integrate functionality into the whole piece inspired by other designs by companies such as Vertex and INGS+1 that a famous for their functional components. C) to smooth out the air flow around the car. Lets face it the front end of the 280zx needs some curves to allow air to slip around it better.

The large center vent would be quite effective is cooling down the air coming into the intercooler and to supply enough air to the radiator and engine to prevent over heating. The side ducts would primarily direct air to the front brakes since the fronts "work" the hardest, and need all the help they can get.

Not only that but the sheer depth of the front fascia would act as a diffuser thus increasing downforce.

Plus this is part of my dream, to modernize the 280zx.

The OLD SCHOOl/ MSA stuff for 280zx just doesn't do it for me.

An interesting note I discovered the other day. APR performance will custom make body components and aero components to fit your vehicle and your desires. All this time I thought they were just a company you ordered stuff from, when in fact they are much more than that. Of course you have to pay for materials and :x $95 hour for labor

BTW thanks for the commentsm it really does look doable, it really is a matter of just finding the right person to help me.

have u seen the xenon hid dual beam projectors i have that r one-offs? maybe can help w/ your idea...but they r on a s30

I like your headlights, but they lack the LED technology that I crave, and they lack that "it looks kinda stock" look. That and I don't really like the headlight covers you have, that design of headlight cover could be really modified to look a lot more slick and to not bulge out so much.

The funny thing I bet, just becuase it usually is the case if I applied my LED/ Xenon projector headlight design to the 240Z bucket it would look even better in the 240Z bucket. Its like everything that looks good on a 280zx looks even better on a 240Z ironically :lol:

they look absolutely intimidating. please never come up from behind me with those things. might pee in my pants.

:lol: Thats what they are all about man! I think a chill would run down your spine first though :lol: By the way I like what you did with your hood. Did I see widened rear fenders in you signature picture? If so right on! Looks like you got it blending in real nice with door, just the way I'd do it (that or the picture is just messing with me)

Hey they look nice . If you ever decide to make them please drop me a line. Please show some actual pics when you make the prototypes.

For sure. Of course I bet a digital rendering will happen well before the actual headlight is made physically. My two largest problems are I have very little fabrication experience and I know diddly squat about how to but electronic devices together. Any electrical engineers in the house?