HybridZ

Failed emissions for the 3rd time....

300zxRB26

Ok guys i had posted once before about failing my emissions with my 1988 300zx turbo. Let me give u some background i bought the car for $1100 in excellent condition except i needed a new clutch, turbo, steering rack, and some small other things. I took the car through emissions the first time and failed for NOx with these numbers...

Standard Reading

NOx 1184 2198

HC 157 109

CO% .88 .30

CO2% 13.3

O2% 1.2

So I went home and worked on it some and cleaned my egr valve and ran it through again and failed for NOx with these numbers

Standard Reading

NOx 1184 1645

HC 157 99

CO% .88 .81

CO2% 14

O2% 1.0

So for the third time i took it home and replaced my pcv valve, did a cap ,rotor, wires, changed the oil, new air filter, cleaned my injectors, and had a small exhaust leak, before the cat, fixed...but now i failed for both hydrocarbons and NOx with these numbers...

Standard Reading

NOx 1184 2197

HC 157 224

CO% .88 .88

CO2% 13.2

O2% 1.2

whats goin on here? what are your ideas on what i should do?...i have four days till my registration is suspended so help me out quick...thanks guys

Have you changed your spark plugs yet? Try checking your spark plugs and also make sure that you have the correct gap. I also suggest that make sure that your timing is correct. After all this then go to Pepboys and buy the additive for the fuel thats suppose to help you pass smog, I forget the name. Your suppost to fill up full tank and put the additive in, recomend half tank and the additive. I had the same problem with my eclipse after I did all the after market mods it was really hard getting it to pass smog, thats why I sold the peice of junk icon7.gif. Well try those thing first any questions just email me and ask. I'll think of something.

I am only guessing on this one but you might need a new cat or 02 sensor. They do not last forever. I would have someone look at those numbers an give you an estimate on what it would take to fix it and go from there.

Well i already changed the plugs, and when i took it in to get the exhuast done, they told me that the cat wasn't bad. NOw i told them it was and they didn't believe me, and today i took it back and it turns out my cat is bad. Now for my O2 sensor it was already replaced. I'm just gonna take it to a private inspector and buy a sticker and be done with it, becuase im gonna have to do that when i put the rb26 in it :D (i cant wait). thanks for your help though

Well i already changed the plugs, and when i took it in to get the exhuast done, they told me that the cat wasn't bad. NOw i told them it was and they didn't believe me, and today i took it back and it turns out my cat is bad. Now for my O2 sensor it was already replaced. I'm just gonna take it to a private inspector and buy a sticker and be done with it, becuase im gonna have to do that when i put the rb26 in it :D (i cant wait). thanks for your help though

Ok Good luck with the swap.