HybridZ

torque arms, how to??

Pop N Wood

Anybody have a good picture of the torque arm in a late model Camaro? I want to build one but I am having a hard time visualizing what they do.

Are they suppose to stop the twisting of the trans/diff around the driveshaft, or just stop the lifting of the nose of the diff? It would be easy to build something to stop the lifting, but the twisting I would think would require something like a torque tube on a vette. Maybe the twisting is not something to worry about?

If I were to solidly bolt something to the side of a T56 and to the side of the R200, could I eliminate my rear trans mount and the front diff mount? Would seem like a very worthwhile thing to do.

Lots of pics of a modified torque arm install:

http://www.wolferacecraft.com/install/fbod/fbodtqarm.aspx

Camaro torque arms only control the pinion angle. The don't do any lateral or torque location of the rar axle.

If I were to solidly bolt something to the side of a T56 and to the side of the R200, could I eliminate my rear trans mount and the front diff mount? Would seem like a very worthwhile thing to do.

I think what you are thinking about is called a PowerPlant frame is is used by Mazda in their Miatas, RX7s, and RX8s. Picture here:

http://www-cse.ucsd.edu/users/paloma/Miata/miata_90.html

Pop' date='

I have a F-body torque arm that's not going to get used. You can have it if you'll pay the freight...[/quote']

Thanks for the offer. I am currently searching for an LS1/T56 pullout and they often throw in the torque arm. Will keep you in mind.

Thanks for the links.