HybridZ

Homemade coilover question?

I have 5 inch sleeves and proprely placed 4 ichers should work just as well. I have had good luck buying springs off eBay (about 5 sets at less than 1/2 price) but a PITA wading thru the "BUY IT NOW crap" ............. Search hints: use coil over (s) or coilover (s), select most inexpensive first, then search in Carerra, Qa1, hypercoil, hyperco, AFCO and anything you can think of...........................Call around and you may find someone to test the weight of the springs for you.

I made my own adjusters out of 2" pipe nipples. Had the guy at home depot tread them about 6" long. Get conduit couplings. Cut the nipples too length and split down one side. Do the same with the conduit coupling. Thread the coupling on the nipple Use a chisel to spread the nipple and slip over the strut. Use and extra heavy hose clamp as a pinch bolt on the coupling or weld one on.

Well it seems that all I have to do is find some cheap springs. I have some 8 inch and some 9 inch springs but I really want to use 10's the only other thing I have to worry about is using the flat top hats that I have vs the cone shaped top hats that I should use. I can use the stock damper or whatever with some pipe welded to it to center the spring or I can try to find some cheap top hats on ebay... Hmmm Is it a bad idea to use the rubber washers that come w/cheap coil over sets. Ive seen washers in this variety at hardware stores If I need them.

To measure spring rate put the spring on a nice flat table and measure its height. Then, carefully put 100 lbs. of wieght on the spring and measure its height again. If the spring compresses 1", the rate is around 100 lb. in. If it compresses 1/2" then the rate is around 200 lb. in. You can do the math and come up with an approximation of what the actual rate it. This isn't the most accurate way but its close enough for your plans.