HybridZ

sr20 turbo in pickup

afbrian13

what do you guys think of this one...

I have an 85 720 pickup 4x4 that needs a new motor. I was kindof thinking of an sr turbo running MS&S. How well do you guys think this would work?

Are these motors mostly horsepower or do they have a little low end too?

the 720's have 4.11 gears BTW

so whata think? redtop in a red 4x4?

I have one in my 280Z. It has a little low end. It does not have the linear acceleration of a V-8. In other words, it might not work for off roading. My SR20DET works kinda like the cars on the fast and the furious. When it starts to boost, it has tons of almost uncontrollable power. For instance, I can start from a stand still, accelerate gently, then mash the gas down so that it fully boosts (15psi) and it will turn the tires while already rolling. This might be difficult to drive if you off road.

You might be better served to look at either the KA24 or the 3RZ, both truck motors with more initial torque. I have been looking into info on the 3RZ (Toyota 4Runner, Tacoma) for a while now, havent found any reason it wouldnt be a great match for a Z, and a plus is having the intake on the drivers side and exhaust on the passenger side, making for better plumbing, IMO. Also, the 3RZ in stock form has a very nice linear powerband.... around 180ft/lbs, I believe. Both of these engines will be considerably cheaper to source, as well. Should you decide to look for more power down the road, the 3RZ probably has significantly more potential than either the SR20 or KA24.

I have an old Mazda rotary pickup that I'm going to redo (eventually) and I'm actually thinking about putting a VG30E in it (possibly with a turbo). I'd either use the KA24 or the VG30 as those have tons of low end power and both can handle quite a bit of power boosted.

Not to mention they are very inexpensive anymore.