HybridZ

N1 Water Pump - drip & hotter at idle etc?

Mike Rowe

Has any one used the N1 pump on an R32 GTR motor - parts guy at Nissan was saying that the N1 pump is listed for an R33 and when you put it on an R32 they sometimes drip and have to be either alloyed or heaps of sealant - anyone seen this?

Also he was saying that the N1 pumps are good for flow at revs but round town can actually make the car run hotter - anyone seen this?

Has any one used the N1 pump on an R32 GTR motor - parts guy at Nissan was saying that the N1 pump is listed for an R33 and when you put it on an R32 they sometimes drip and have to be either alloyed or heaps of sealant - anyone seen this?

Also he was saying that the N1 pumps are good for flow at revs but round town can actually make the car run hotter - anyone seen this?

I wouldn't have any clue =( Ask stony and the boys.

For the first question I can't see why it wouldn't fit right, since it's the same block. The only major diff I've heard of so far between the RB2632 & 33, is where the crank attach's to the oil pump.

Although the fins on the water pump are a little smaller the the stock there are more of them. So I don't see why that would be true either.

With all that said, I have no experience with the pump yet, and I do want one.

The Nissan guy had this feedback from several customers. Some had added some alloy to the pump and remachined the face. Others had just applied lots of sealant. He said like you he was surprised as they should be the same block, however he did say in the parts book they are listed for an R33 no listing for an R32 so there may be something we dont know.

The difference is in the impeller. All of the RB pumps will fit all of the RB blocks. Standard impeller has eight blades and the N1 has six larger blades plus a plate behind the impeller. The N1 pump will produce less cavitation at sustained revs. Running around town you are not producing much HP. I've never seen an engine overheat because of an N1 pump. Guys that were having drip issues probably didn't use enough sealant, and would have had the same problem with any pump. BTW, the N1 pump costs twice as much as a standard pump (more than $100 more). If you're not circuit racing or autocrossing, that's money to be spent somewhere else.

The difference is in the impeller. All of the RB pumps will fit all of the RB blocks. Standard impeller has eight blades and the N1 has six larger blades plus a plate behind the impeller. The N1 pump will produce less cavitation at sustained revs. Running around town you are not producing much HP. I've never seen an engine overheat because of an N1 pump. Guys that were having drip issues probably didn't use enough sealant, and would have had the same problem with any pump. BTW, the N1 pump costs twice as much as a standard pump (more than $100 more). If you're not circuit racing or autocrossing, that's money to be spent somewhere else.

Hi Matt, in Australia the N1 water pump is exactly the same price as the standard pump! They were cheaper previously than the standard pump

regards Mike

Hi Matt' date=' in Australia the N1 water pump is exactly the same price as the standard pump! They were cheaper previously than the standard pump

regards Mike[/quote']

Matt, here are the prices for the water pump and oil pump etc

How do these prices look to you - expensive or ok?

N1 Oil pump (same price as standard pump) A$560

N1 Water pump (same price as standard) A$320

Timing belt A$75 (Nismo A$400!)

At the same price would you go for the N1 items? (I definitely will with the oil pump

regards Mike

• 3 weeks later...

I have been searching for N1 parts for my R33. If anyone out there can confirm the part numbers for the N1 oil pump and the N1 water pump (yes I searched our site - but little success) I will quote some prices.

If my part number is correct it looks like my price for the N1 water pump is $242.00 CAD - delivered.

If I get the part numbers I can list the prices I can get here in Canada.

thanks

Q

Matt' date=' here are the prices for the water pump and oil pump etc

How do these prices look to you - expensive or ok?

N1 Oil pump (same price as standard pump) A$560

N1 Water pump (same price as standard) A$320

Timing belt A$75 (Nismo A$400!)

At the same price would you go for the N1 items? (I definitely will with the oil pump

regards Mike[/quote']

The standard pump in Japan is 13,000 yen, retail. The Nismo timing belt price is a joke. I want to say it's around 15,000 yen, retail.

I don't understand why but i paid $155AU for an N1 water pump and now the price has doubled???

ps the difference between them other than above mentioned blade/anti cavitation plate is there is a bolt hole at the top which on the N1's has a slot.... im guessing this is because the hole in the blocks was in slightly different spots from different models.

is there any way you can rebuild these things as i got one sitting here that was hardly used but sat dorment in an engine for some time and has accumulated some rust deposits on it

PS i use a Gates Racing timing belt for $100AU

I don't understand why but i paid $155AU for an N1 water pump and now the price has doubled???

ps the difference between them other than above mentioned blade/anti cavitation plate is there is a bolt hole at the top which on the N1's has a slot.... im guessing this is because the hole in the blocks was in slightly different spots from different models.

is there any way you can rebuild these things as i got one sitting here that was hardly used but sat dorment in an engine for some time and has accumulated some rust deposits on it

PS i use a Gates Racing timing belt for $100AU

All of the aftermarket pumps have the slot. The price for the genuine parts pump has always been expensive in Japan, but the aftermarket N1 pump is the same price as the standard pump. It also has eight blades, but the blades are longer. I use stock Gates belts on 10,000+rpm engines with high lift cams too. I've never used an aftermarket belt (sell a lot of them, though). I've had exactly ZERO belt failures on any engine, RB or other.