HybridZ

Customers Custom Intake Indivudual Throttle Bodys.

1 fast z

Yea, So Im building this custom Individual throttle body intake for customer that is also a member of the board, Ill let them revial there Identity if they choose so. Yea so its about 80% complete, all of the hard work is done anyways, just install the air cleaner plates, velocity stacks, and the Injector bungs, and all good to go! I wont give away all of the dimensions, and what not, but as you can see, The runners are partially tappered, to give a NICE torquey manifold. Anyways, heres some pics.

MiniHeadandSIDIntake_035-334x220.jpg

MiniHeadandSIDIntake_036-332x218.jpg

MiniHeadandSIDIntake_037-335x216.jpg

MiniHeadandSIDIntake_042-332x215.jpg

MiniHeadandSIDIntake_045-320x212.jpg

MiniHeadandSIDIntake_046-319x209.jpg

MiniHeadandSIDIntake_041-324x243.jpg

MiniHeadandSIDIntake_044-320x242.jpg

Hmmm... looks scary to me. Number 3 and 4 will have different induction harmonic frequencies than the other cylinders resulting in those cylinders running either rich or lean compared to the others at those rpm where the harmonics occur. Or am I mistaken? Dave

There is a part of equation being left out ---the ram pipes. If the middle two cylinders have shorter ram pipes, then all of the six induction paths can be made equal in length. Being in or out of frequency does not make a cylinder run lean or rich. What pulse tuning does is bringing in extra cylinder charge at a certain rpms. However, if all of the 3 carbs are jetted the same, the middle two might indeed run lean due to fuel droplets being slung to the intake wall.

What throttle bodies are those?

There is a part of equation being left out ---the ram pipes. If the middle two cylinders have shorter ram pipes' date=' then all of the six induction paths can be made equal in length. Being in or out of frequency does not make a cylinder run lean or rich. What pulse tuning does is bringing in extra cylinder charge at a certain rpms. However, if all of the 3 carbs are jetted the same, the middle two might indeed run lean due to fuel droplets being slung to the intake wall.

What throttle bodies are those?[/quote']

Hmm I was thinking the same thing with the equal length runners and such. I forgot the the carbs can be adjusted to compinsate. But having more bends in the runners also adds to the airflow restriction that it has.

First off, the difference with using same length velocity stacks, with the difference in length, is less than 50 RPM harmonic difference on a 4th dimemssion. The intake is setup for 6800 Peak Power at that resonance. Therefore, the cylinders will not run lean nor rich in difference, but mear, the center two will make peak power at less than 50 RPM difference. Not a big deal on a street car, thats for sure. This intake is sure well enough to get my car in the 13.1's @ 103 MPH in a full bodied 280z, with bad plug wires. This customer is putting this on a show car, and really cares about apperance more than performance, but I built him an intake that has both. Heres the same intake, just different runners and a tad differenct design, but this is the one thats on my car.

miscneedssorting140.jpg

SRC=

There is a part of equation being left out ---the ram pipes. If the middle two cylinders have shorter ram pipes, then all of the six induction paths can be made equal in length. Being in or out of frequency does not make a cylinder run lean or rich. What pulse tuning does is bringing in extra cylinder charge at a certain rpms.

Methinks you will still get quite a harmonic where the butterfly is in the intake tract, especially at mid-throttle, so unless its a race car?

I understand what pulse tuning does, but do you not understand that if two cylinders are getting more charge than the other 4 at a particular rpm, and the same amount of fuel is being fed into all 6, that those two will burn differently than the others? What doesn't make sense here? So unless you've got very smart EFI which lets you individually cal injectors based on RPM, you will get different burns at harmonic RPMs.

Dave

Unlike carbureted ITBs, injected ITB does not draw a premixed air/fuel, the "extra cylinder charge" in the EFI setup will be a given amount of fuel plus extra air rammed in at tuned rpm. If the velocity stacks offset the difference in length, then the wave paths will be the same. Your argument is that with less than half throttle, the wave bounces off the throttle plate, causing the wave paths to be different again, that is an excellent point.

I think with the throttle plate nearly closed, the wave path is cut even shorter so the harmonics is going to happen at even higher rpm(higher than 6800rpm). Since the effect of different wave path only happens at higher than 6800(which is beyond the point of max hp) AND less than half throttle, the scenario is not involved in power making and doesn't really matter in this case. That's just my theory.

1 fast z' date='

What throttle bodies are those? thanks[/quote']

They are from an 89-94 Nissan Maxima GXE or 89-91 Maxima SE. Both with the VG30E engine. (they were used on some other jdm nissan's but in the U.S. the Maxima is where you'll find them.)

That's a pretty ingenious way of using those Maxima throttle bodies. Pretty awesome.

I think with the throttle plate nearly closed, the wave path is cut even shorter so the harmonics is going to happen at even higher rpm(higher than 6800rpm). Since the effect of different wave path only happens at higher than 6800(which is beyond the point of max hp) AND less than half throttle, the scenario is not involved in power making and doesn't really matter in this case. That's just my theory.

You're assuming that 1 fast z meant the intake is setup for 6800 WITH the ram tubes. Maybe, maybe not. In any case you will still get the potential 5th or 6th harmonics for a shorter path at a RPM the engine will more likely see at not WOT.

I dunno, its shiny at least. ;)

Dave

• Administrators
They are from an 89-94 Nissan Maxima GXE or 89-91 Maxima SE. Both with the VG30E engine. (they were used on some other jdm nissan's but in the U.S. the Maxima is where you'll find them.)

That's a pretty ingenious way of using those Maxima throttle bodies. Pretty awesome.

I’ve been seriously eyeballing those same throttle bodies myself at the wrecking yard lately. Ron T. is contemplating them for his wifes L-20-B 510, (his MSnS-E experiment,.. for his E-30 BMW M-3)

But of course Bryan isn’t revealing his OTHER really cool intake… at least not yet, that is….

MUUhhaahahahaha

BTW Bryan, nice work on this intake. Very sharp.