HybridZ

pics of z31 v8 hybrid

Sorry the pics of the mounts aren't great, but here is my install.

showphoto.php?photo=5716&cat=500&ppuser=8

showphoto.php?photo=5840&cat=500&ppuser=8253

showphoto.php?photo=5839&cat=500&ppuser=8253

Right now the magneto is off the engine going to Joe Hunt in Rancho Cordova for a turn up, and somewhere in the chaos that I call my garage is Hilborn injection. They won't clear the hood. I can't do body work, and right now don't have the $560 to blow on a cf cowl induction hood. :(

Joe

nice pics, its cool to see how different people reach the same goal in different ways. the small block really fits nice in the z31, im surprised you don't see more of them converted.

do you have any hood clearance problems?

did you have to trim the firewall for the distributor?

haha, i'm glad you like the SS symbol, i had it laying around so i figured i would throw it on.

the distributor really wasn't as big a deal as i thought it was going to be, but if you wanted to use an HEI or a big MSD Ford style cap it would be a problem. with my manual transmission i have the engine back as far as i could get it without lowering it more and screwing up my pinion angle, the bellhousing sits about 1/8" away from the firewall/tunnel. all i had to do for the distributor was trim the flat spot where the two pannels join, it was simple.

z_104.jpg

Hood clearence is a real PITA for me. the top of the magneto touches the hood and The injector stacks won't clear at all. I can't lower the engine because there is only about an eighth of an inch clearance between the oil pan and the steering rack. That is why I am using the stock chevy dist and the four barrel carb 'til I can get the hood taken care of. I had to trim the firewall seam to clear the distributor . I found a cf hood for about $560, it is supposed to be 20 lbs lighter than the stock one and it has cowl induction. I don't know if that is a good deal or not. What do you think?

hood clearance is a problem for me too. i have about a half inch between the oil pan and the rack(should have made the engine sit lower) i had to put on some tiny little air cleaner and space my hood up. i dont know much about cf hoods, but i do know i saw a fiberglass cowl induction for $350 at the z store, thats what i plan on getting.

I'm fabracating a stainless steel shroud from the grill opening in my airdam to the radiator. I figure that it will move more air into the rad, and help stiffen the dam dam. Stainless is being used because I have some laying around, and like many of the emotionaly immature I am attracted to shiny things.;) Post some pics of yours, and I'll shoot some of mine as it progresses.

Joe

the scoop in its former lifezscoop_007.jpg

test fit on first cuts and bends

zscoop_009_2_.jpg

side skirts added

zscoop_014.jpg

three completed peices

zscoop_017.jpg

the final assembly

zscoop_021.jpg

on the car

zscoop_037.jpg

thats pretty much it, it wasnt hard to fab, but i dont have any measurements or anything like that saved. i put a screen in the scoop after i installed a new engine and radiator. enjoy.

hey chaparral, what are you using for the fuel system? i set mine up to run off of the stock nissan in tank efi pump with a regulator, and it doesn't work that great. ive always had a problem with the way the engines ive had in this car ran and i think its a fuel delivery problem. past 4 grand and it just about turns off. i plan to go mechanical. got any ideas, what did you go with?

Alf,

I am using a holley red pump. Mainly because I got it cheap. I haven't had much chance to see how it runs yet. Are you using the stock fuel line? I changed mine to 3/8" all the way back to the tank. The red pump doesn't make much pressure but a lot of volume. I don't know for sure but it seems that I read somewhere on here that the stock pump won't move enough volume to feed a sbc. I may be wrong, It wouldn't be the first time. Hope this helps.

Joe

well im glad to see your using a different setup and im not just going crazy. im still using the stock line, what size is stock 5/16? my engine is pretty mild(around 250hp) so i would think thats enough. i also read that the stock pump cannot suport that much power, 300hp maybe. anyway, im pretty sure thats my problem, ill post the results after i swap it around. also, did you remove the in-tank pump? alot of people are telling me the mechanical pump will pull right through the elctric pump, is this true?

I pulled the in tank pump, but I don't know if I needed to or not. I think the stock line was 5/16 I used the 3/8 because that is what comes on a chevy (I think). The reason I pulled the stock pump was because I had to get the tank boiled out so I could move the filler from the side of the car to behind the licence plate. Your front scoop looks good I'll post mine if I ever am home long enough to finish it.

Joe

so i changed the engine over to run with a mechanical pump and pull through the in tank electric pump. the car runs, and i can notice a differene with the way it pulls past 5 grand easilly, but it stalls after i run it past say 4 thousand rpms. i think the problem is the electric pump dragging the mechanical pump down and causing a pumping loss. i temporarilly set it up to run with both pumps untill i run it out of gas and can drop the tank, i think it should work perfectly then after i do some carb tuning. things are looking up.