HybridZ

Better 5-speed...280Z or ZX?

gogriz91

I may have the opportunity to get a rebuilt transmission and I'm curious whether or not I should shoot for a Z or a ZX (non T-5) transmission if they're both the same cost.

The 5-speed I've got now sh*t the bed and rolled in it. I don't know what it came out of.

this is about as much info as i have on 280z trannys from the Zgarage2001:

Nissan called the '77-80 trans a "wide ratio", while the '81-83 is called a "close ratio" 5-speed. The early one has the lowest 1st/2nd gears for acceleration, but a wide spread between 2nd and 3rd. The later one has a taller 1st/2nd but a tighter spread between 2nd and 3rd. It also has a much taller 5th for cruising. Your choice.

According to a Z Doc friend who rebuilds transmissions, the early 5-speed is a 4-speed with 5th and reverse sharing the same fork. He said it's common for people to "blow" 5th gear as the fork is weaker. He said the later 5-speed is a genuine 5-speed and is stouter. I call the early one a 280a and the later a 280b to keep them straight.

as for t-5's not sure...

If you've got a 3.54 an early Z 5 speed would probably be a better match. A later ZX and a lower rear gear is better on a NA engine, if you have the choice.

I'd be really surprised if the problem wasn't what I explained on classiczcars.com where the shift fork moved. Just too weird that the stick would be in neutral and the car would still be in gear. And you can't get it out because the stick can't get to that shift rail with the car in gear.

the 82-83 trans has best 5th gear ratio.i use the 82-83 trans behind my turbo engine.i like how it shifts -and redline oil helps.i found the big ratio gap in early z 5 speed at sears point.2nd to 3rd is too far apart.good set up in a na car is 82/83 trans and 3.9 zx rear diff.in run a 3.7 lsd and car works good.

I'm hoping it's only the shift fork or something that can easily be fixed, but I'm prepping for the worst if the guy says I can repair your existing transmission for X, or you can get a rebuilt one for less. I've never been in this situation before and want to know my options, pros and cons. If it is the transmission and it comes out, it'll give me a chance to figure out what it came out of too.