HybridZ

Legallity in australia

Guest MickieB

Guest MickieB

Hi everyone,

I really want a V8 in my next zed, which i'm hopefully getting very soon. I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me the go with getting this engineered in australia? (Assuming i'm using an SBC 350). Sorry if this has been brought up before i searched for a while and could find nothing. Also if it is legal, would it be legal to then supercharge the V8 or at least bolt on an injector head??

Thanks

I think there are a few Aust hybrids...... A Z would be around 30 years old and i belive in general, an engine can be legally swapped into a vehicle if the engine is the same year as the car, or newer, and all stock engine emissions gear is retained. However, swap laws do vary from state to state. Before doing any swap, check your local laws to see exactly what is legal.

The Kits Most of the people on here use a kit that is from JTR www.Jagsthatrun.com... and the swap isnt that bad.... took me 2 weeks an a few redos........

**** forgot to say.... the chevy zz4 and ALL of them read "This engine is not intended for marine use, and should only be used in 1973 and earlier pre-emissions street vehicles or for off-highway use only" meaning... the engine smogs as a 73 even if it needed to be smoged.... Leaving all the 240z fair game for the swap...

it has been done in most states of australia fairly easy down here in tassie just put in a application of what u want to do which i have with the nissan v8 and more recently a ls1 if transport agree they approve just need a engineer to check it out and as there is no structual changes should be approved

I knew of a few 240z with 327 and 350 fitted one othe member was saying in nsw theres a rule that u cant go over 5.3 litres in a 240 but im sure if u get an engineer on board u can get approval

as for the super charger not sure try driving it with a 350 first see if u need more then

injection would be no problem

mick

Guest MickieB

I'm Queensland. I'm thinking of just seeing how it goes with an injector head for now cause i'm sure that a supercharger would cost me an arm and a leg.

Other thing to ask, is it going to be hard to source all the parts? I live in townsville right up north. I was hoping for one of the more recent 350's that comes standard injected but realistically i still don't know anything about what i plan to do. I'm yet to buy the JTR manual.

It would be really hard to find a rear ended camaro in australia. I think it would be best to go with the LS1 or 2 if you got the money. Check the RTA website for how much bigger the replacement engine can be.

Im surprised at the abundance of V8 commonwhores in australia that there would be a lot of trashed ones. I've looked around a little but cant find nething.

good luck!

Guest MickieB

Do commies have 350 chevs?? I'm relatively new to the V8 thing. I have a skyline now and yeah i've always frowned upon them in australia cause pretty much every V8 here is too heavy for my liking. But i owned a 260z previously and i know a V8 in a zed will handle pretty similair so i'm very interested! :D

Any companies anyone can give me in QLD that sell the parts/engines? Or if not QLD then australia??

Guest MickieB

Also just quickly. The videos you can find on the net of the 240z with the s/c SBC that races the bike and all that, someone said it belongs to darious. What motor is that? That's the sorta set up i'm looking at if it's possible in australia and if i can afford it.

plenty of ls1 chevs becoming avilable now with commodores having run them since 98 good autos or 6 speeds to go with them really are a better choice i think here in land of oz pretty can get all the parts off shelf

ive bought one of johns cars install kits for ls1 and jtrs headers so you can get the parts u need from the states just have to wait 6 to 8 weeks to get freight reasonable

mick

yeah thats the idea hope it fries tyres good will tell u about it in 2 to 3 months just recieved my headers today so the nissan v8 comes out tonight as long as i dont get bogged down painting engine bay again 3rd time if i was counting but got adjustable camber plates to fit and some holes to weld up damn auto electrician drilling with out asking

suppose ill have to fit 17 or 18 wheels to get wider tyres inside standard guards got coil overs to fit so should be able to get something wider under there

mick

Guest MickieB

OK so let me go through this to get my facts straight cause i don't know any jargon with the V8's. Could i use a commodore V8 and the factory 6-speed that's on it with a JTR kit?? Is this similar to the set up darious uses?? If so who could i contact about a front-cut ss??

You really need to read more stuff,

The current bodyshape commodore ss's have LS1's. The one in the darius video is a supercharged 383ci i think.

They engine before the LS1 was the 308 which is a 5.0L and i've read they arent that good.

You can't use the JTR mounting kit because that is for the older style engines. You need to use Johns Cars LS1 mounting kit and the headers from JTR and i think they sell them on the johns website. And you can use the 6 speed manual that can come with the engine but i read the shifter wont fit into the original hole where the Datsun one is/was. You will also have to get rid of the wings in the transmission tunnel and drill holes to mount the custom crossmember which you can also buy from that website.

The 6 speed manuals only came with the 5.7L holdens and is known as the MM6 six-speed Borg Warner T56 manual.

The later model VT commodores came with the LS1 but only have 220kw at the fly. That was the first commodore to come with the LS1.

The current model SS has 250kw but thats only with the SV8, SS and the Ute.

I can't answer your question about the front cut but call up some used parts places that specialize in holden.

Check out www.commodores-r-us.com

Read up from VT-VY.

I havent done this swap just read about it a bit, so i might be able to answer some more questions

OMGWTFBBQ Holden..... Hell yes.... I <3 Tickford tho....... ILl trade you my project Z for a nice tickford....... :evil: never mind.... Yes Nitro is right..... although I looked at it like this the FIRST MAJOR STEP IS GETTING the engine in... if later you want more power.... or what not.... the LS blocks are pretty much bolt on power... and power can go as high at what ::dose rough math:: 800kwh? befor you run into problems........ What you need to do is set down a price and figure out on paper what everything isd going to cost you then see if you can afford to finish it once you start it

as already mention the Jtr book deals with the older 307 to 400 chev block engines easy swap just get the book it does not deal with the aussie built 308 holden motors at all

with the Ls1 motors as mention Johns cars make a kit the gearbox lever does line up with the existing hole im you do have to cut the existing gearbox mounts off the tunnel but other wise its a straight forward fit kit comes with all parts needed and basic instructions

as for horsepower my motors from a clubsport r8 commodore 250 kw std had the maf removed and rev limit raised as well as a few tweaks in the computer and securitys burnt off suggested output is close to 300kw

but check out some of the other guys on this sites outputs real nice hp

plenty of ls1 cuts around try ebay or check out parts magazine most holden wreckers have them

but as said you really should do some searchs and work out your budget

if u just want a v8 i got a nice nissan v8 with 5 speed 600 dp holley hand made extractors sitting on the floor just pulled from my 240z will fit straight in no problems being 4.4 ltr rego approval comes easy be happy if i got $2500 even got the bug catcher and bonnet cut to suit if you want to look tough for it but for a ls1 or 350 chev id suggest you need at least $10,000 and thats if you can do most of the labour yourself

mick

I have a 260 with a 350 sbc and a th350 trans. it was built in 1999 and has been registered in NSW till now, i'm just roadworthying it ready for registration in Victoria (fingers crossed). I also have a VX Calais with an LS1 (220kw at the flywheel).

The 260 is currently handling like a very fast truck but I love it.

BTW it weighs 1240kg with aluminium heads/radiator/pulleys etc. I need to change the trans to a manual as soon as spare cash allows.

Transmission choices are the 6-speed (overdriven) T56 manual trans or the computer controlled 4L60E overdrive automatic. Automatics are a slightly easier swap and with the mountains of torque the LS generates it makes for a more driveable car. You can "light-em up" whenever you want and the 30% overdrive reduces noise, improves mileage, and lengthens engine life. The ZCAR factory automatic shifter is okay and there are aftermarket units if you prefer. The T56 Shifter does fit in Z shifter hole.

Taken from the johns cars website. Heres the link

http://www.brokenkitty.com/zcar/zcar.htm