HybridZ

A question to you turbo guys up north... cold weather boosting...

Guest 73Turbo240z

Water injection, although it does work, should not be needed at this low boost. He has another problem if he has knock at 8 psi in 30* weather. I can run 12 psi, no intercooler in 100* weather with my POS Z31 on 91 pump.

What c/r are you running? I would double check the timing by bringing the revs up and using a bike pump. Pump 10 psi to the map sensor and see where the timing goes. It will be pig rich so you'll probably need a second person to ad some throttle to keep the revs from dropping below to where you have all your off boost advance in. I had to do this on my truck when I turboed it to find out max timing under full load (flapper door AFM) at high RPM.

put it to ya like this

in a talon tsi i had a couple years back. i had water injection on it. 180k miles on original motor' date=' 24 psi on stock ported 14b, a ported manifold, hard pipe kit, k&n filter, modded mas air, 3 inch turbo back exhaust pulled a nice 108 mph. for less then 500 bucks in mods. now the 24 psi was on 110 octane. im a HUGE FAN of water injection. it gave me a chance to run silly amounts of timing {close to 30 degrees under full boost} at this boost level. i can go into more detail if need be. but this should give you a good idea on what water injection can do. if it can do that on a high mileage turbo motor, imagine what you could do on a fresh L series!

as far as your problem. stock efi systems compensate for cooler air, standalones do not. {at least the ones im used to messin with} so. with the Ms system, im not sure if you can do multiple maps, like for warm temps, medium temps, race gas, pump piss, cold, or something of that sort[/quote']

The car does not ping at 50+temperature up too 85 degrees. It hasn't been hotter yet. It only happens at cold cold weather. I pulled some timing and it should be much better. Megasquirt has a timing gauge on it so it tells us what the timing is at all times. I have verified the gauge is correct by revving the engine and watching the timing with my timing light so I know the timing is where it is suppose to be.

Water injection' date=' although it does work, should not be needed at this low boost. He has another problem if he has knock at 8 psi in 30* weather. I can run 12 psi, no intercooler in 100* weather with my POS Z31 on 91 pump.

What c/r are you running? I would double check the timing by bringing the revs up and using a bike pump. Pump 10 psi to the map sensor and see where the timing goes. It will be pig rich so you'll probably need a second person to ad some throttle to keep the revs from dropping below to where you have all your off boost advance in. I had to do this on my truck when I turboed it to find out max timing under full load (flapper door AFM) at high RPM.[/quote']

never thought about his low boost idea. but boost is irrelivant in terms of cfm movement. being that he has a larger turbo on the car, at the same level as before, also means more cfm is being pushed in. anywho, thats a whole nother thread in general

take some timing out, save map as cold weather map.

i have done several cars with similar things happen, after the new map was put in, it was happy

I agree with Clifton that you should not be having detonation problems at such a low boost level, and your timing is pretty conservative too. With colder intake temps, your chance of detonation should go down, not get worse. I think there is some other factor that is causing you to have problems. I can run 15psi on 85 octane when it is <30degrees outside, but can't even dream of that when it is any warmer.