HybridZ

Ford 300ci straite 6

TREVTEC

Any body know if someone has tried to put a Ford 300ci Straite 6 into a Z? I can pick up all the parts for cheap including a Mustang 5.0 5 speed which might make for a fun car. Ive looked at prices on parts and there super cheap and for very little money you make make a real torqe monster.

HA!

I have that motor in my service van' date=' 1966 Ford/Grumman step van. Lots of low rpm torque, yes, but no power. Tall, heavy, long. Not my first through fiftieth choice for a swap into a S30. But hey, JMHO.[/quote']

I know stock there not known for hi end power but Ive been reading alot about them on this Board www.fordsix.com. They pretty much do all the same mods to there engines as most L28 Z guys but they get nearly double the displacement. They Have Hi Lift Cams, Side Draft Carbs and pretty much anything else you could want. Seems pretty cheap and easy to make 400 whp and 400 ft. lbs and still keep it a Six, The motor even looks pretty close exdept for the Header and INtake manifold are on oposite sides. Compele engine Gasket Set sells for $23 at any auto parts store.

I'm with Dan... I have a friend with one of those in an old pickup. Besides having little power, it got lousy gas milage until he put a 4BBL manifold and 600 Holley on it (neither of which is a cheap item).

You might consider a 289-302, or even fixing the stock Z engine. If your Z is dead, you might be able to pick up a good Z engine cheap from someone here who has to have an LS1:twisted: .

You posted while I was typing (old and slow). Have you verified fit and weight? 6 cylinder speed parts are still speed parts: How fast can you afford to go?

That is a HUGE L6. It is also a heavy weight.

With absolutely no redeeming HP qualities. At least none that doesn't cost big $$$$. Slow revving, and can pull stumps...

Stone reliable though...

I had one in a '72 Pinto (yeah, a '72 Pinto) :shock:

Took some creative work to put it there as well... :redface:

My 1990 F150 had it, so did my brother's 1987 F150. It's nice, had the 5 speed. It was reasonable even with 285 75 R16's. when I first bought my Z I still had this truck.

I looked at the Truck, looked at the Z, looked at the engine bay of the truck, then the Z, measured the engine, then the Z... It looked like the intake would be sticking out the hood a few inches if the engine sat on the ground. But with side carbs that intake would be gone. Why would they wrap the intake over the valve cover??? WHY? I could have had a perfect engine 90k for basically the lost income of $1800 (what I sold the truck for). Well some latino gentelman and his family really liked it anyway.

It only ever had one problem, the igniter failed when the radiator hose sprung a leak and sprayed an exact stream of fluid right on the dist and blew it, $50 and I got a whole new dist from Kragen. I'd say you'd do well to have it in the Z if you could fit it.