HybridZ

ring gap

Eric

the fsm says a min of .025 on the top and .30 on the second ring. the rings i bought mic at .018. my engine builder thinks that that should be fine and that the books numbers seem a bit high. what do u sesoned builders think i should go for just a stock rebuild?

PLEASE use units! And I belive you have some decimal error. I BELIVE your trying to say, that the FSM says .25mm and .3mm. Typical is 4-5 thousands of a inch per inch of bore. If this is a NA motor, run like .012" on the top, and .015 on the second. This is MINIMUM specs, I would recomend.

it's NA. everything is stock; bore, pistons, etc. the manual said top ring at .025" min, and second at .030" min. all of mine gap at .018". should i have them at the books specs, or is that too much. if it's too much, what should i have them at?

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

Hey Eric I am rebuilding my engine and my gap is also .018. My rings only have 15K on them and so I am reusing them since they are the $150 Nissan Rings. You should be just fine with that gap on an N/A.

Later,Norm

Well, there is a reason they call for that gap. Heat causes the rings to gain length and thus close the gap at operating temperature. Too small of a gap and the rings butt ends causing severe drag that can ultimately pull the top of the piston off, and scuff the cylinder walls.

The gap depends on the ring land position, turbo pistons usually have the ring package lower on the piston to eliminate heat buildup in the rings. That kind of a gap sounds funny for stock pistons, but the norm for hyper's.

That being said, the performance gain from tight ring gaps is typically less than 2% on a fresh bore, so your not gaining anything really that you can feel, going with book specs gives a correct build that you won't have to redo cause it wasn't right the first time. I'd go with the book spec's myself, but it's your motor.