HybridZ

what would be a all around great turbo for a L28ET!?

Guest ON3GO

looking for a bigger turbo for my blue Z.

i really dont wanna go externaly wastegated but i think i might have to.

i dont wanna get rid of my scottie-gnz downpipe either but i guess ill have to also :(... time to move on :(.

whats a perfect spec turbo for our L28ET's?

mines alittle lower compression then stock as i have a 2mm headgasket.

this block will be junked sooner or later as i have a spare L28ET im building with 240Z race prepped rods, CP forged pistons, 2mm headgasket, my P90 head i have now but even more worked, and a cam just like Z-Gads in his L28ET motor.

so i dont care if i push my fresh rebuild block that i have now to the limit.

want to to be pushing 20+psi, and do all this on pump gas. looking for around 500whp.

i have 440cc injectors, MSnS-e standalone, wally fuel pump, all new BIG fuel lines, pretty much fuel system is all there that ill ever need. i will upgrade the fuel pump soon too..

really looking for a holset HY35w turbo but after seening a few small problems with boost creep and etc happening to my friends cars im thinking of not going that route. im sure all the bugs can be worked out so then again i dunno.

if i go external wastegate think a 38mm tial would be fine? i have one of those already...

anybody have pics of there exhaust manifolds that run external gates...?

thanks!

mike

maybe a hybrid turbo? I think one of the better ones was a T3/T04S. the S compressor map leaves room for quite a bit of HP while still having decent spool characteristics.

at least I think thats the one Im thinking of. feel free to flame me if Im wrong. here are some dyno charts on various turbos slapped on VG30ET's and their accompaniying mod sheets.... dyno charts hope that helps.

i ordered 720cc RC injectors but they said it would take awhile till i get them.

i wont be putting everyhthing on the car right away, ill do it all at one time.

for now the fuel system and etc i have now will be okay so i can get some miles on this car and still make okay power.

im looking for a manifold for this type of big power setup but cant find anything, might have to make one myself.

besides that my bov will be needing a upgrade and also my fmic maybe...

mike

The T3/T04R looks like its up to the task, though you will need a external wg. A member here (speeder?) was making 425hp or so at 17psi. I think he may have had a 3.0L motor though. A custom header will probably be needed to get to 500hp. If you were going custom header, i'd do a full T4 like JTaylor's, but i'm concerned about your spoolup with lower than stock compression. It may look like a dyno queen.

well the new engine im building isnt stock or lower then stock compression as it is now... its a 8.5:1 forged motor.

just need to put it all together and get the head done up and order the cam.

going with a HY35w turbo, ordering it monday!

mike

500whp? Man I have to get me one of those American dynos.

372rwkw on an Australian dyno is a maxed out GT35R.

There are companies around the place that fit larger compressor sections to smaller exhaust sections using new Garrett stuff. ala http://www.horsepowerinabox.com/HPIAB2/prod18.htm

Or you could go the GT35R that was designed for the Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo (4.0L DOHC I6) in Aus: http://www.horsepowerinabox.com/HPIAB2/prod296.htm

Or if you're nuts:

http://www.horsepowerinabox.com/HPIAB2/prod382.htm

Dave :)

• 2 weeks later...

Can I ask a stupid question?

How on earth are you going to get 500rwhp to the ground successfully?

I have 320rwhp im my HR30 (helix will know what I'm talking about) coupe, it weighs about 1200kg (2640lb) and I have 245/45 x 16 street legal racing tyres (Yokohama A032) and I'm on the limits of cohesion now,

so how you going to fair with another 200, give or take.

Dennis in Oz

Guest Tourniquet
Helix what is the difference of hp and kw? Just curious. Petez made 360rwhp at 15psi. I don't see any reason why a GT35R would max out at 370hp.

1hp = 746w (watts)

1000hp = 746 kw (kilowatts)

so 500hp * 746 w/hp = 373000w = 373kw

Sorry about the violacleff, I totally missed your question, Tourniquet has it though.

Multiply by 0.7457 to convert from hp to kw.

From another thread we were talking about, dynojets read approximately 15-17% higher than australian dyno dynamics, so 500usrwhp is around 415ausrwhp. Still a lot of power in anyones language, but in a 1100kg car, would be very interesting. Thats around what I want from my GT35R engine @ ~22psi.

Go for it on3go.

Dave

Guest Phil1934

I see the Ecotoec book says for 400-600 HP Turbonetics T3/T4, Garrett GT35R or Innovative SH50BB or GT61BB. Innovative also has some ignition controls, but I've never heard of them and haven't done a net search.