HybridZ

Very Close!!!

sonomaz

I wanted to take a moment and thank all you guys and gals (?) who post on Hybrid Z for your inspiration, motivation, and wisdom. No seriously, I've owned my baby since '84 and lived perty much in my own shell with MSA as my only other contact until the internet and you folks at Hybrid Z. Tomorrow, wether permitting, I'm rolling my baby, a '72, out of the garage and starting it for the first time in 6 years. I parked it 17 years ago "for six months" because it needed a new clutch. It also needed struts, tires, diferential, all new U-joints, AC, seats, stereo, carpets, glass, paint,... on and on. Well now the suspension is done, engine is rebuilt, 5 speed, struts and shocks, tires, wheels, carpets, seats, roll bar, one set of seat belt harnesses... much much more and soon it will be my daily driver.

Seriously, thanks to all of you! I've been taking lots of pics and I will definatley get some of her starting up!! Stay tuned and I'll post on this thread.

I spent three days this weekend burning up my battery and overheating my starter trying to get my baby running. I think I said six times "Oh, I know what's wrong"!! On the bright side I fixed my frozen distibuter (Mallory, seized in the mount), got the fuel pressure set (added a regulator and holley pump), removed the capacitor from my points (MSD 6AL), checked my firing order (three times), and set the static timing (four times).

I had a strange thing happen. The regulator was set to five pounds at the factory (SU's should run three) and during adjustment I spiked it to seven. The adjustment wouldn't respound and after awhile the carbs were spewing gas out on to the ground. I lifted up a carb piston and gas sprayed everywhere. I removed the adjusting screw from the regulator and nothing happened. I discovered that I had not removed the caps from the fuel bowl vents so when pressure built it was not vented through the top but pushed the gas out the jets of the carbs. Pretty strange, huh? Only took me an hour to find.

Ooohhh Yeeeaaahhhh baby!!! How sweet that sound! Open headers, semi hot cam, unfiltered carbs!!! My baby's running!!

Had two more "oh, I know what's wrong" and then found the distributer was out of alignment by 180 degrees (explains all that popping out the carbs). Dropped the oil pump, reset the shaft, reset the distributor and timing and,,, VVrrrroooommm, pppawwwww. IT RUNS!!!!

So yeah I cleared my calendar and I'll bring it to the Travis meet and greet!!!

Stay tuned for pictures.

Paul

• 5 months later...

Wow, how time flies. So much has happend since I last posted. It has been since February and I still have less than 100 miles on my rebuilt engine. I had the seats modified for my Simpson Harnesses, and .... NEW PAINT!!! Factory Orange and it looks awsome.

It was amazing. In the first half hour after I picked it up, 5 people stoped to say "cool car, " "nice ride." That's more than in the previous 22 years of owning the car. I'm tell'n you, paint is everything!!!

It's interesting that we have so many more postings about engines than we do about body and paint and yet the first thing that most people notice is the look. Campy wheels, roll bars, nitrous purge clouds, twin turbos, don't get the nod like high tech, well thought out, body and paint.

OK...I'll get pics!!

• 3 months later...

Hey, it's a beautiful day, a little cool, have to run into work, think I'll take the Z, put a few more miles on it.

Where is that siren comming from, not behind me? Holly crap, on the right and that ambulance is going to cross infront of me against the red (green to me)!!! Jam the brake pedal!! This car stops fast.

BAM!!!

4X3_smashed_z.jpg

The bastard was tailgating me all the way up the highway.

I took it in to Body Best in town and Dino assures me it looks worse than it is. The silver linning to this cloud; I get a new, replated rear bumper.

Be careful out there, people.