HybridZ

electric fan??advice please

I am trying to decide on what electric fan

I am going to use on my 240.It getting a

10.5 to 1 350 with a 84-86 camaro radiator.

What should I use?The black magic 150 or

the ford 2 speed?I heard the ford kicks butt

but have not seen one in action?

Guest Fast Frog

I've got a Black Magic 150 in my setup. I run a sbc 383 w 9.5:1 cr in a climate that gets up over 100 deg in the summer. Until recently, I was also running a Paxton SC which added more pull to the engine. I also use a 165 deg thermostat. I've never had an over heating problem. I'm also using a Jim Cook Racing ZV8 conversion 4 core radiator.

Others have similiar setups but use the Taurus(?) 2 spd fan. I think either elect fan choice is good. Some may say that the Ford fan is superior, especially, if your running a stock water pump and no major engine bay ventilation.

Good luck!

Rick

Guest Anonymous

I run a Black Magic 150 w/ a custom alum. radiator in really hot weather and have no problem w/ temp. What I liked about the Black Magic was the quality and the flexibility of the mounting brackets. You can make it fit wherever you want. They are pricey, but worth it IMHO.

------------------

'71 240

'91 TBI 305,700R4 w/ shift kit

Guest Anonymous

I'm using dual 12 inch permal cool performance fans. I think the pull is something like 32000 cfm. I'm using a stock 280zx radiator and have no prob with them at all. I also am running dual temp sensors that I picked up from autozone, they don't have to be mounted in the inlet of the collant, so they actually seal up. I have them mounted through the rad using those tie things. No probs what so ever, even when dragging up and down the street in 100 plus heat.

sean

------------------

"I feel the need, the need for speed!!"

"Don't hate the player, hate the game!"

32000 cfm?!?! WOW! that is something of B-17 proportions!! Seriously, Sean, 3200 cfm is even more than the Black Magic fan. What did you pay for it? I'm personally going with the Taurus fan due to cost, but the fan is supposed to be effective. The Black Magic fan is nice and has a great cowl, but a bit pricey next to good junk...yard stuff.

David

Guest Anonymous

I was looking at a 14" permacool with aluminum blades that supposedly flowed 2950 CFM, more air flow than the black magic and pulls way less amperage for $90.00 (about half price). Not sure how it'll work, but its what I was considering using (depends on the local price of OEM fans). The BM is a bit pricey for my blood, but I'm sure its a nice unit.

Lone

hey lonerider do not buy the pemacool fan I have tried to use one in the past and they suck!! you want to get a blackmagic. The pemacools dont have a shroud wich makes a big diffrence. I even tried the 18 inch fan and still had overheating till I got the blackmagic.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the info on the Permacool. I'll avoid it. I'll look OEM, or *gulp* black magic (he says as his wallet noticiably slumps...). Thanks again.

Lone

I haven’t got my rad in yet, but I bought the smaller Camaro one and the Taurus fan. You won't believe the fit, it's almost perfect. Hard to believe one was made by Chevy and the other part by Ford. The nice thing about the JTR manual is that Mike Knell has been scrounging bone yards for 20 years.

I should have this thing running in about a month or so, I'm in the middle of the electrical, ('91 305 TPI). Then I can let you know how well it works.

Guest Anonymous

Yeah I'm looking to use the Camaro radiator as well. I'll probably scour the pick and pull for a Fan, see if I can find a Taurus out there. Sounds like a good combo.

Lone

Mine came out of a '92 Taurus 3.8. They say to get it out of a car with A/C. How many '92 Taurus' didn't have A/C? Get the top radiator mount out of the Camaro, it works great. The top mount I got came out of the same car as the engine. It is the bigger one but I just cut it down with a power chop saw, carbide blade. Trim the bits and pieces off that the Camaro fans mount to. It looks factory!