HybridZ

EBAY Scam

cygnusx1

A friend of mine lost a bid on EBAY for a set of wheels and tires from California. The seller had a squeeky clean reputation. A few days after losing the bid, he received an email apparently from the seller stating that the winner was not able to pay up so he was offering the wheels to him at his losing bid. The seller stated that he would contact EBAY and have EBAY set up a transaction. A while later, my friend received an official looking email apparently from EBAY with all the correct details. It stated that he was the new winning bidder and he could send a money order to a specific address. Well my friend got suspicious because he was the fifth losing bidder and the address for the money order was in the UK. He forwarded the email to EBAY security and they said that it was a fraudulent email and they were launching an investigation.

Apparently, this crook (not the seller) goes after a few bid losers.

A very common scam....

NEVER PAY FOR A BIG TICKET EBAY ITEM WITH ANYTHING OTHER THAN A CREDIT CARD THRU PAYPAL.

I don't like using paypal, but together with your credit card as the money source, your protected.

Paying via money order, check, cashiers check, bank draft etc, and you will be scammed, sooner or later...