HybridZ

Need help on suspensions.

Guest leonl

I have read through most of the post regarding suspensions setup. Still have a few questions.

My front suspension is setup with Koni (Red) shocks with some "blue" springs (not sure what spring rates). My concern now is the rear setup. The rear now is stock springs with blown shocks. Since track day is coming soon, really need to get it setup.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I am planning to rop the car 2", since it is not daily driver and mainly use for auto-x and track. I understand that with the 240Z top "cap" of springs in a 280 will drop about 1". Also, there is a 1 inch "spacer" at the bottom of catridge which can be remove, then cut and reweld the strut which will lower another 1 inch or so.

Also, I saw the post of using Z31 300Z shocks all round which are 1 inch shorter than the 280Z shocks?

Right now, the list of shock I am looking at are as follows:

1. Bilsteins.

2. Tokiko illumina or HP

3. Koni

Please feel free to feed me some info. Thanks in advance.

Btw, I am planning to run 15-17 inch by 10" wheels later on, with ZG flares. Backspacing are 4.5 inch front and 4 inch rear.

LL

My front suspension is setup with Koni (Red) shocks with some "blue" springs (not sure what spring rates). My concern now is the rear setup. The rear now is stock springs with blown shocks. Since track day is coming soon, really need to get it setup.

Stop. Put the tools down and walk away from the car. Sit and think for a minute.

Just from this paragraph I can assure you that you've got at least 100 hours of work to get your car ready for a track day. Basic things like:

brake pads and shoes

rotors and drums

brake fluid

suspension bushings

steering rack

wheel bearings

Wheels

tires

engine, trans, and differential mounts

engine, trans, and diff fluids

seat belts

suspension nuts and bolts

mirrors

and much more...

all need to be inspected and replaced as needed. You should also source two Koni reds for the rear struts and replace the blown shocks. Once you have the car in a safe and reliable condition for autox and track events, then you can start thinking about modifying it to go faster.

Thanks for the reply and info. Sorry for not being details enough. I have had the Z since last September, still very new to Z. I have done auto-x and track for many years in different cars. This is the first year I am running the Z.

I have done upgrade and replaced all the parts you have listed and more. I bought the car with an okay paint and some rust. I started to replace and upgrade components since I got it. Now, I am down to suspensions and so on.

I have check on Arizona Z website and they have a 2" shorter Koni catridge. Wonder how that works. Has anyone use them?

Thanks again.

LL

I have check on Arizona Z website and they have a 2" shorter Koni catridge. Wonder how that works. Has anyone use them?

Thanks again.

LL

I'm running them in the front and my fronts in the rear. You will need to section the struts to use them and then run coil overs. If you have Koni red DA's in the front, stick some in the rear and get another set of springs. I guess you could just run some aftermarket rears but who knows what rate you have in front. I would think the car would push pretty good right now with stock rears. If have a pair of rear DA Koni's if you are looking for some.

I'm running them in the front and my fronts in the rear. You will need to section the struts to use them and then run coil overs. If you have Koni red DA's in the front, stick some in the rear and get another set of springs. I guess you could just run some aftermarket rears but who knows what rate you have in front. I would think the car would push pretty good right now with stock rears. If have a pair of rear DA Koni's if you are looking for some.

Thank you for the info. Very nice and impressive setup you have on your Zs. Please let me know how much you are asking for the rear Koni. I have a pair of coilover which I am plaaning to use them together with the shocks. Do I need to section the struts with the Koni you have?

Thank you.

LL