HybridZ

Backwards Transmission?

Initial Z

Sorry if this is a dumb question... Say you get a front clip or a Silvia or Skyline and you want to swap all the goodies into a Z, how do you deal with the transmission shift positions? Woulden’t they be all backwards sense it came out of a right hand drive car? Wouldent you be shifting from right to left?

Well thanks all,

Nate

The Nissans all shift from 1 on left to 5 on right. Yes, you are sitting on the opposite side, but the tranny does not know that. The only thing I had to put backward in my 280Z with Silvia engine was the gear shift had to be put in backward because it sat so far back. That only meant that instead of 1st being all the way forward and 2nd being close to the center, 1st was close to center and 2nd was farther back. The only reason I had to turn the gear shift lever around was that my engine sits so far back. If I had mounted it 1.5"s farther forward, I wouldn't have had to make that change.

Sorry if this is a dumb question... Say you get a front clip or a Silvia or Skyline and you want to swap all the goodies into a Z' date=' how do you deal with the transmission shift positions? Woulden’t they be all backwards sense it came out of a right hand drive car? Wouldent you be shifting from right to left?

Well thanks all,

Nate[/quote']

Not trying to flame. When thinking about such a question think of how cost effective it would be to make a RHD and a LHD version versus making one transmission.

Sorry if this is a dumb question... Say you get a front clip or a Silvia or Skyline and you want to swap all the goodies into a Z' date=' how do you deal with the transmission shift positions? Woulden’t they be all backwards sense it came out of a right hand drive car? Wouldent you be shifting from right to left?

Well thanks all,

Nate[/quote']

I think it's almost all universal to have the 1st gear in top left to be honest. Even though people drive on the wrong side of the road or what not, I think it's still common sense to not have manufacturers or companies change the shifting pattern.