HybridZ

Turbo Motor Build advice

Joedatsun

The bottom end of my turbo motor is currently being torn down and evaluated by the person who will be doing the machine work and assembly. Depending on what he finds, I was planning on doing a stock rebuild with the addition of forged pistons, leaving the CR close to stock. My RWHP goal is in the 300-350 range. It was suggested to me that another option would be swapping out the 280xzt rods and replacing them with 9mm 240z rods and forged pistons which Dave at AZC sells. I believe that this would in effect up the CR to approx. 8.4-1 to 8.5-1. I was told that this would make the motor less of a dog off-boost and would be able to reach my HP goals using less boost. I plan on using my SDS to control everything. My question is this: does it make more sense to go with the Stock CR which would leave a larger margin of error when tuning etc. or is it over conservative considering the superiority of todays stand-alone (SDS) EFI systems? All opinions welcome!

Thanks

Joe

I may be missing some info. but if you put 240 rods on a stock L28 crank with a P90 head you get a 9.16:1 CR and if you do a 20 thou. over bore you get 9.28:1 CR. There also seems to be a positive deck height of 2.730mm (i don't understand how thats possible with the given CR) (stupid engine calculator, or maybe just stupid calculator operator). So Im guessing that the forged pistons have a different pin height in order to get an 8.5:1 CR?

I'll be building a 8.02:1 CR turbo motor: 20thou over flatop piston block, 2mm hks head gasket and P90 ... Im hoping that 8:1 is "zippy" enough off boost but still affords me enough slop in the tuning so I dont blow up my engine. If I want a little more CR I can take out the 2mm head gasket and use a stock one and get 8.6:1 ... but I'm not sure if thats to high. arnt forged pistons just insurance against detonation? and if you dont detonate, do you need them? So I guess I don't have any new info for you... just more questions... sorry!

I may be missing some info. but if you put 240 rods on a stock L28 crank with a P90 head you get a 9.16:1 CR and if you do a 20 thou. over bore you get 9.28:1 CR. There also seems to be a positive deck height of 2.730mm (i don't understand how thats possible with the given CR) (stupid engine calculator, or maybe just stupid calculator operator). So Im guessing that the forged pistons have a different pin height in order to get an 8.5:1 CR?

The custom AZ zcar pistons compensate for this. You are left with a better stroke and bore ratio.

8.5:1 cr turbo's seem to have a nice sweet spot. Almost the same compression as a NA L28 and turbo to boot. They are awesome for power and torque and with standalone engine management, you could easily keep the detonation at bay.

This or turboing a flat top block and P90 is going to be my route for when I build another turbo car.

Mario

Comparing compression ratios, you need to look at the causes of detonation. Detonation happens when the cylinder pressure are too high. So lets say that with your combustoin chamber, you can have X amount of pressure in the cylinder before detonation. With lower compression, you can have a larger mass of air (since it isn't compressed as much) than you can have with a higher compression. The tradeoff is that higher compression is more efficient, making better use of the air and fuel that is in the chamber. Finding the sweet spot of optimizing max mass to max efficiency is what you are looking for. In my opinion, you aren't making drastic enough changes to your compression ratio to have any negative effect on maximum power. If you want better off boost response, go with the higher of the two ratios.

I am going with a 8.5:1 CR on my build. It's nice to have good of-boost characteristics as well! :-) Seeing you are going with a standalone, you have much better controll when tuning the engine compared to those running the stock system, so I would say the standalone makes up for the increased risk of detonation when running this higher CR.

Guest motorheadeb

If the pistons are really close to the perimeter the squish may help suppress detonation more than a lower CR so the higher deck height combination could yield more power with more compression (go figure).

I am currently building a replacement engine for my Skyline. It now has an L20ET on board.

My new engine is an F54 block, P90 head, stock L28ET cam (thanks to another member of this forum) 1.0mm oversize L28 Flat Top Pistons, L28 rods & crank.

It will have about 8.7:1 compression, 460cc injectors, will be boosted by a VG30 BB Turbo and I'm looking for similar HP and expect it with less than 1 Bar of boost, running on 100 octane ULP fuel.

ECU is going to be stock except for Microtech piggy back to control the fuel & boost issues.

The engine guru's in this country say it's the only way to go.

My only question is re TB size.

Cheers,

Dennis in Oz

Sorry! maybe I should have put the ECU piggyback comment in another thread or equally on another forum.

Dave, I thought you were an intelligent being.

Maybe you should join the likes on SAU cause they show similar intelligence.

You take this out of context ....... I guess your a woman!