HybridZ

L6 Smoking between manfiolds

george.bryant

I've just reassembled my motor. It runs pretty well. But on boost it doesnt feel like its really boosting as what the reading on the gauge is, feels like half of it. WHen urve gone for one quick boost, and then turn the motor off. There is smoke coming out from underneath the inlet manifold.

During the reinstallation of the manifolds the 1st exhaust stud broke and I have no repaired it yet.

Could this be the soruce of the smoke and lack of boost feeling?

Regards,

George

Smoking after you first put the engine together is normal. Your finger oil, cleaner, and even gaskets will smoke for the first few times your car is warmed up. It should get better each time you start it though. If you are getting a good boost reading and its going up there as quickly as should then you system is sealed. So more than likely its ignition timing, miss, or fuel problem.

You can check the timing with a timing light. Basically it senses when the no.1 cylinder is fired and emits a light at that time. You then check where the mark on the crank pulley is lined up at when the light comes on. If you are running the stock ecu 81-82 then its 20 degrees if you are running a 83 then its 24. It could also be a miss. Check cap, rotor, wires, spark plugs, and coil.

EDIT* I just read your sig looks like you are running an l20 and I don't know what the stock timing is on that. And yes dizzy timing and ignition timing is the same.

Then I think its that broken exhaust stud you mentioned earllier. I haven't had a opportunity to try to get one out of a alluminum head before so I don't know how to get one out. I'm sure someone will post or link how to.