HybridZ

Chrome Paint

Boobala

I was just wondering if any of you have done or thought about doing a chrome paint job?

http://alsacorp.com/products/mirrachrome/mirra_prodinfo.htm

I think just the chrome look is kind'a cheesy.

Chrome-Z.jpg

P1030207_L.jpg

More photos: http://alsacorp.com/company/50cent/50cent.htm

But when used with a candy clear-coat it can look awsome:

IMG_2919.jpg

It's not cheap though:

MC-101G-Kit

Gallon Kit includes:

1 Gallon - MirraChrome

1 Gallon - Speed Clear

1 Quart - Speed Clear Hardener

2 Quarts - Black Basecoat

2 Quarts - Reducer

1 Polishing Cloth

Price: $1399

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used in on my models (yes it the same paint, I got a sample jar when I was asking the company about it). form my impression the paint scratches pretty easily, but I only put one coat on my models. I would assume that a couple of layers of clear would fix that, but I tried and am unsure if the paint does well with clear coating.

I decided not to pursue investigating it any further because its techically illegal to do that, because it would be a "destraction to other drivers." I guess it would be good if you put it on in a subtle way, kinda like how its not put on all over the place like on the 3rd pic, just to accent certain areas.

Edit: Also like black, it will show dents and blemishes alot more easily

Helped a friend paint his bad *** hoda crx With a chrome paint kit not sure if exactly the same sorry(i now its a ricer but stll bad ***) anyways and the pain tlooke dgreat for about 4 months but after that it jsut kinda faded horribly to a dull silver scratching wasn tot bad of a problem but they do show up more due to the super shiny finish im goin to look over my stuff see if i can find a pic of it

I used in on my models (yes it the same paint' date=' I got a sample jar when I was asking the company about it). form my impression the paint scratches pretty easily, but I only put one coat on my models. I would assume that a couple of layers of clear would fix that, but I tried and am unsure if the paint does well with clear coating.

I decided not to pursue investigating it any further because its techically illegal to do that, because it would be a "destraction to other drivers." I guess it would be good if you put it on in a subtle way, kinda like how its not put on all over the place like on the 3rd pic, just to accent certain areas.

Edit: Also like black, it will show dents and blemishes alot more easily[/quote']

According to the website...

Step 7. (final step) - Top with your final poly-urethane clear coat. You can add Candy Concentrate tints to your top clear coat to achieve any color chrome you desire.

and...

Q. Will any clearcoat work over/under MirraChrome?

A. Almost any poly-urethane clear can go over MirraChrome, however we recommend using Alsa Clear for best results, as a few customers have reported a grey or haziness appearing when topcoated with their own clears.

I got it at some classic car convention that was up here a while ago, when it was still the "Oooo what is that" thing. The guy I talked to told me how to put it on but I didn't hear him mention anything about clear coat the time.

It would still be a destraction to other drivers so it would still be not road legal.

All kinds of things can be distracting to drivers.....24 in wheels...even normal paint jobs...or even good lookin girls...I personally think you could get away with it if you wanted...why dont you use it as a accent though instead of a solid job...Warning, all though i paint and have used this same brand before...if you want it to be worth the money you pay for the stuff follow the directions and do a perfect black paint job....or buffed out smooth as glass...this is what makes the chrome look good...if you dont do this the particles are so small they will settle in scratches just from washing it. It also applies w a airbrush and covers over the black best...i tried over silver once....bad mistake, what a waste. The chrome also can be wiped off if you dont clear over it...so plan that in to the equation...it also makes it hard to use because if you use it as a accent you cant tack over it...hit me up if you have any questions about it i've used it on multiple things...p.s. the chrome looks great from a few feet back, you can even see your reflection in it like a mirror...but it does look like a haze up close...kinda like crome that has been hazed from wiping too much...good luck

I saw a skyline today that had vinyl graphics on it that was chrome-ish. It looked very nice, I think that might be a better option for only doing smaller areas. It might not be as smooth and perfect because it had a little more orange peel to it.

All kinds of things can be distracting to drivers.....24 in wheels...even normal paint jobs...or even good lookin girls...I personally think you could get away with it if you wanted...why dont you use it as a accent though instead of a solid job...Warning, all though i paint and have used this same brand before...if you want it to be worth the money you pay for the stuff follow the directions and do a perfect black paint job....or buffed out smooth as glass...this is what makes the chrome look good...if you dont do this the particles are so small they will settle in scratches just from washing it. It also applies w a airbrush and covers over the black best...i tried over silver once....bad mistake, what a waste. The chrome also can be wiped off if you dont clear over it...so plan that in to the equation...it also makes it hard to use because if you use it as a accent you cant tack over it...hit me up if you have any questions about it i've used it on multiple things...p.s. the chrome looks great from a few feet back, you can even see your reflection in it like a mirror...but it does look like a haze up close...kinda like crome that has been hazed from wiping too much...good luck

Oh, I have no intention of painting my car chrome or even candy chrome. I just though it was interesting. IF I were to do something like this it would be black-candy-chrome, but like I said, I have no real intention of dong it. My car will either be black or a very, very dark matalic grey.

Well the paint job is technically illegal because of distracting of other drivers. Its the same way that neon lights (I hate those) under cars is illegal. You won't get pulled over just for that but, when you do get pulled over for something else they will add it to the fine.

As for laser and radar, It will actually make you more visible to speed detection. Laser speed detection isn't really a laser but it is a more narrowly focused ranged stream of light. With radar, you have to have paint that would absorb and dampen radio waves.

What is deemed legal and not legal does not always make sense. i have a pair of headphones for my phone which plays mp3's. My brother tells me you can,t wear those it is illegal...:sour:

What I find intersting is that even fully cranked I can still here someone talking or if I say snap my fingers. But his 1000 watt amp can drown out a convo even if you are down the block...:shifty:

Also probably not legal but definately tollerated...:twak: