HybridZ

msa cam destruction

Silent

yep, another one.

first off, some history.

ran the valves a couple months back, come to find out. i had three cam lobes going flat.

today, changed the valve cover gasket, again. for the 4th time.

checked the cam. noticed something. ANOTHER LOBE going flat. so im up to 4 lobes going south now.

so for those looking at the msa cams for their z, seriously, do some shopping around for better regrinds, or new billet core cams.

I've installed several of the Schneider cams and never had a problem. If you have not centered the cam lobes' wipe patterns on the rockers or if your valve springs are bottoming you will have lobes being chewed up.

I was running a .580 lift scheidner. The cam was fine it was my setup. I was able to achieve a good wipe pattern but that is not the whole story. In order to do that out of ignorance I had run the rocker posts up very high with lashpads for a street cam like a .460 lift. Bad move. Not only is it the wipe but it is also the geometry between the the rocker and the valve stem/lashpad. Along with few other things I dont unerstand. What pound valve spring are you running. Again I dont klnow what the proper spring pressure is for your cam. What cam are you running. The last one I got was somewhere north of .600 lift. I called Schneider and they were able to recommend a lashpad thickness. Once I did that and set it up I could see the difference in the geometry vs what I had. Imagine the rocker jacked up on the post side vs a slight incline up to the arc of the rocker and then parallel to the head from the arc to the tip of the hardened end. Anyway after that all the ehat and friction symptoms went away. I am sure someone else can explain it better.

Oh btw I think I have a scheider cam laying around and I have a stock one that definately is made out better metal shiny high nickel content? if you want Cam can be expensive and I have some varying lashpads and old rocker if you want some stuff to play with.

i have checked the swipe and all that fun stuff. it's fine! thats what's scary. from my understanding, im not the only one that has had this problem. then again. im not worried about it. im more worried about the bottom end with metal shavings, so, soon the motor is comming out, and get a very through cleaning, and checking of everything.

I've only heard of people losing lobes on Schneiders. I've never known anyone who lost a lobe on a regrind, which is what all my L4 and L6 engine racer friends run. I don't think any of us has ever had a rocker resurfaced, my rockers have run on 3 different cams without being resurfaced.

Silent, my suggestion to you is to get an old stock cam and send it off for a regrind and see if the same thing happens again. I have a suspicion that it won't.

im not worried about it, im pullin the motor in the next couple weeks to go over everything with a fine toothed comb, so to speak. i'll post some pics when i get to the point of it being apart.

i need to get a gasket set for the whole thing anyways, im tired of chasing oil leaks and random "goo" on the block.

but it did run a 14.5 on said screwed cam. before i knew of the 4th lobe being barfed.