HybridZ

I shouldn't take on anything else but I've always wanted a 510, Whadda think?

Guest iskone

Guest iskone

I don't know a whole lot about them, although I do happen to have a master gasket kit.

I found this 70' with both quaters messed up and a knock (bad). I guess what I need to know is the price of a decent rebuild and if I'm wasting my time.

Here is a response I got from the owner, Oh he wants $1200 I was thinking $1000

The car is "driveable" but it has a knock that covers the sound of the exhaust...so its pretty loud..and it accelerates very slow. It started knocking the same day i changed the spark plugs and wires, so im sure i did something wrong. so basically ASAP!!

I dont got any shots of the frame...i wouldnt know what parts to take pics of icon_confused.gif

The trunk lid doesnt always close on the first time...other doors are perfect.

The damage does not affect the driving at all, i drove it with the damage for bout 4 months before the engine started knocking.

The add

first of all, its got damage on both quarter panels and the engine has a knock...needs a rebuild. otherwise, it has an L20B block and head, stock induction,(bmw 2002) weber, stock choke, aftermarket 3 core radiator, 1' stabalizer bar, rear sway bar, Subaru 3:7 Limited Slip Difrential, 2' exhaust, new fan clutch, new water pump, and a new starter(starts up perfect, every time) Brand new rims.. 3 months old..... and brand new toyo tires

t_img_0560_122.jpg

t_img_0564.jpg

t_img_0561.jpg

t_img_0567.jpg

Isk

510s are fun but are getting harder to find parts for. I lived with a guy who had 4 or 5 at one time (he's been FTD at the Shasta meet I think a couple times now), and another friend of mine has at least 4 right now I think. They were the car of choice, and I was the outsider with the Z. Kinda the same deal as a Z, just a bit smaller. 4 cyl instead of 6. Very light. Fun to drive. Seems to me that they're harder to make fast on a big track, but easier to make handle at autox than a Z. That's the impression that I have of them anyway.

Biggest issue with them IMO (aside from rust) is the suspension. You have to section the struts in front if you want to lower them much at all, and in the rear the semi-trailing arms can get to some really funky angles when you lower the back. Slotting the crossmember and sectioning the front struts are pretty much required as far as I'm concerned. One nice thing is that a 280ZX front strut bolts up and is already shorter than the 510 strut, and comes with a vented rotor. So it's a sectioned strut vented rotor upgrade all in one. Do that with a coilover and a camber plate and you've really made a difference. Also there isn't a lot of space for tires, so if you want tires wider than about a 195 you have to flare the car. R160 LSDs from Subarus are pretty easy to come by.

Might want to cruise around this site here for awhile: http://dimequarterly.tierranet.com/

I wouldn't spend $1000 on one that has a bad motor and needs both quarters replaced.

Guest iskone

Hmmm, I talked to the guy about the engine nad was thinking it could just be swapped wires he said it gets quiter after a while and at 1/3 throttle it doesn't do it. Also it gets moving very slow.

I'll probablly take a look at it Saturday unless through my research search I'll do in the next couple of days it is not worht my time. I just can't help but think if it's just swapped wires it would be worth it. The passenger side looks like it could be pounded out but I'd have to have a new panel put on the driver side. I'm sure I could get that done cheaply, then onto to the RustoRoller paint job!!!

I have him sending me some more pics of the engine and the trunk area from the inside.

I appertiate the input on the 510's and will be on that site later tonight!!!

Isk

The damage is likely to be a bit more severe than it looks. The price is nice at a G. However here in LA I've run into a good share of dimes that are straight but have some minor rust issues at a decent price. I don't know how abundant or rare they are up north, but this one looks like a handful. I've been looking to get a 510 for some time. On another note, Isk are you a Def Jukkie?

Guest iskone

Yeah, I'll have to take a real close look at it. I mean I'd like to have one but I need to fix my 240 first then atart on the house.

You know you're the first person who knows. Hell yeah I'm a Def Jukie!!! I wish I could make it to the Paid Dues festival in LA but I can't get anyone to go with me. But Soul Position (going just for RJD2) is coming to town in May and Blockheaad too.

Isk

Guest iskone

Well the other pics show the car looking a little worse then I thought.

Here is a pic of the engine. Does it look like the plug wires are wrong? I don't know the firing order of the cap.

27fdre2.jpg

You know you're the first person who knows. Hell yeah I'm a Def Jukie!!! I wish I could make it to the Paid Dues festival in LA but I can't get anyone to go with me. But Soul Position (going just for RJD2) is coming to town in May and Blockheaad too.

Isk

Yeah I figured 'cause of your avatar. That's dope. I've met some other Hybrid cats that are into the culture and music aside from our common love of cars. Nice to meet another one. You do graf, spin, break, spit or what? ISK One was already a big sign in terms of your stance (b-boy stance).

Soul Position's first album was amazing. the Paid dues festival is gonna be ridiculous. I better stop before I get lambasted for speaking in code or whatever. Hit me up on myspace if you got one, I want to know more about the scene up there aside from Nasty Nes, Mix-a-lot, Old Dominion and whatnot.

That 510 is gonna be some work. But I can imagine how tempting that is, try not to give in. Think about your 240.

For an L20 B the dizzy is set 180 off but maybe still timed right. To my eyes # 1 plug wire is the only one connected correctly......Correct.Firing order counter clockwise is 1-3-4-2...LO0ks like engine is wired wrong :1-2-3-4.... LOL.. a 510 with a weber carb L20 B would still run wired this way... Don't kid yourself 510's were plentiful 10 years ago on the west coast and 2 door sedans were always in short supply. A rust free 2dr 510 is now like hen's teeth. Closest thing you can get to a full sized motorized skate board. If the wiring is wrong...ya got a running "seat of the pants car" for a grand that will get over 20 mpg and keep up with about everything on the street. IMO the modofied 510 will always have better re-sale value than a hybrid Z which means you will get your money out of a 510