HybridZ

bleeding brakes

I saw a post sometime ago that described how to bleed brakes using the ports on the master cylinder as well as the ports on the wheels. I tried bleeding the MC and then each wheel and I still seem to have air in the lines. What's the proper procedure? I'm using a friends internet access and don't have time to do a search. I know, lame excuse. Thanks.

Well it is quite simple, you can use a speed bleeder or you could use someone pumping the brakes and bleeding them that way.

Either way you start at the farthest from the mastercylinder, RR, RL, RF, LF, in that order.

All you need to do is have your partner, pump the brake 4 times and hold, open the line, bleed it out, close it tight, and then have them leave off teh brake.

Do the same for the other wheels and keep an eye on the fluid in the master cylinder.

The best way I've found so far is as follows :

1) Put speed bleeders on each wheel (worth every penny)

2) Starting at the wheel farthest from the Master (the passenger side rear), use a Mighty Vac (or similar) and draw about 20lbs vacuum then work the pedal a few times. I pump at least a full master to the farthest wheel.

3) Repeat Step 2 for the drivers side rear, then the passenger side front and finally the drivers side front. Pump the pedal a few times at each wheel.

The speed bleeders and the vacuum make it an easy task. You don't need to do the old down, open, hold, close, up routine, you just pump the pedal a few time and check the master and vacuum. It's also a great way to flush the brake system.

This method allows you to do the bleeding all by yourself, no need to beg someone else to do the pedal work while you wrench the wheel.

Hope that helps,

Joe

Either way you start at the farthest from the mastercylinder, RR, RL, RF, LF, in that order.

Actually, in a 240Z the LR wheel is further away from the MC then the RR if you look at the length of the brake tubing.