HybridZ

Engine swap electronics question

A good friend of mine has a 2003 Chevy 1/2 ton 4X4 pickup with a 5.3 vortec engine and an automatic transmission. He wants to replace the 5.3 with a 5.7 vortec and transfer all the manifolds and electronics but he's not computer savey and neither am I.

My question is, will the sensors and computer pick up on the increased air volume and increase the fuel as needed or does the computer need to be reprogramed for everything to work correctly?

I've swapped computers around a couple of times, but never the particular one you're talking about. It may or may not be the same PCM, but it will definitely have a different "tune" in the PROM. One of the things the computer has to know is the cylinder volume, which of course you'll be changing, along with a number of particulars related to other engine details. As Paul said, you'll want to swap the computer at the same time as the motor. It may well run (somewhat) with the old computer and sensors, but it will certainly not run as well as it could.