HybridZ

some wheel questions.

sooo i was looking at wheels.. and i am not sure what to do..

will a 9 inch wide rim fit under the stock fenders in the front? i dont want to run flares, but i would like to have a wide tire up front..

also, i dont know if i want to get 15s for all 4 corners or if i want to get 17s.. both have their good and bad for me. i already have (2) 275 17 goodyears and (2) 315 17 Nittos so a plus of running 17x9 in front and 17x11 in rear (car is back halved) is that i already have tires.

im not sure if there are going to be any low profile 15 inch tires available though. by todays standards 15 inch rims are tiny. i know i could find plenty of 15x11 slicks for the rear but what about if i want to road race?

these would be the 17x9 and 17x11 wheels

V48-17x9.jpg

these would be the 15x9 for front and 15x10or15x12 rims for the rearm401.jpg

personal prefrences and experices are more than welcome..

9" rims will fit in the front with coilovers. There is a bit more room in the front than in the back. The problem is that at full lock the tire will hit the TC rod. Terry devised a steering stop that is easy to make and works, you might want to check his website for some pics.

15 x 10's are hard rims to find street tires for, no doubt about that.

do you have coilovers or stock suspension? I am running 15x8", 4in. backspace, wheels all around with 225/60r15 tires and have about 3/8" of clearance on the front and more on the back...oh...the rims stick out about an inch from the stock fenders...

I am now installing coilovers and could probably run more backspace...I just bought these rims though...before I knew I was going to go with coilovers...lol... I thought it was going to be a lot longer before I converted.I can run some wider tire now like 245front/275rear if there is anything that wide for 15" wheels...

jmortenson,

When you say 9" fits do you mean physical outside edge to edge distance ?

I have an american racing wheel stamped as a 17x9.5", it actuallly has an outside lip to lip distance or (back spacing + front spacing) of 10.75" - see diagram.

When you say 9" do you mean I would order a 17x9 or order a smaller 17x8 that will end up being physicaly 9" wide.

I have have not managed to convince myself that everyone describes wheels the same way.

wheel_diagram.gif

the width of a wheel is determined by measuring the area where the tire seats to the rim. in the diagram you put up it would be the measurement of "outboard flange" to "outboard flange" if anyone talks about it diffrently they are flat out WRONG.

my 17x11 ZR1s that i put on my camaro are about 12 inches wide

so what back spacing would i need to run to get a 17x9 rim under the front?

the width of a wheel is determined by measuring the area where the tire seats to the rim. in the diagram you put up it would be the measurement of "outboard flange" to "outboard flange" if anyone talks about it diffrently they are flat out WRONG.

?

I think you mean "Outboard bead seat" to "Inboard bead seat"

When you say 9" fits do you mean physical outside edge to edge distance?

I'm talking about a 15x9, not a 9" wide outside to outside rim. My 15x8s are particularly wide lipped circle track steel wheels and they have a lot of clearance, probably 1/2" to the rear fender and I have not rolled the fenders. Based on this I think a 15x9 would fit just fine.

• 5 months later...
I'm talking about a 15x9, not a 9" wide outside to outside rim. My 15x8s are particularly wide lipped circle track steel wheels and they have a lot of clearance, probably 1/2" to the rear fender and I have not rolled the fenders. Based on this I think a 15x9 would fit just fine.

Are you running coilovers on that setup and what brakes do you have up front??

I am trying to figure out my maximum backspace with stock suspension and toyota 4piston calipers up front. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Braxton

I have coilovers and I was running Toy 4 piston calipers on solid rotors. New setup will be Wilwoods, we'll see if I get forced into a larger diameter rim. I'm not nearly there so I probably won't figure that out for 6 months at least at the rate I'm going.

I don't think you'll fit that 15 x 9 under a stock fender without the coilovers.