HybridZ

GTI-R SR20DET RWD setup?

dosquattro

Would the coilpack setup from a rwd sr20det ignition work with a dist type setup on the FWD sr20's? Thus totally removing the distributor. I got a thumbs up with the fwd sr20/L series tranny adapter plate at just $245 for one. I had this engine awhile ago but don't really remember where all the mounts are on the block. I think this would be a great setup but much like what people with say a 4AGE 20v swap into AE86's is that the dist is in the way and the firewall would have to be umm modified. Thats why I though of possibly using the coilpack setup from the RWD SR20DET's and then just run it off of Megasquirt and then just ditch the dist. and that restrictive MAF sensor and run a map.

I mean that mean just mounting the longblock and wiring that up but the drivetrain wouldn't have to be touched at all. How much easier can you get? Com'on who wouldn't want ITB's and a nice T28 and forged pistons? This is like the RB26DETT's little brother basically(minus a turbo)The L series tranny may not be the best but how much easier and cheaper can it get? The GTIR longblock is a lil more then your normal typical s13 or s14 SR20DET but it's packs more of a punch with better internals and external parts. Now I know where my money is going.

Being the cheap bastard that I am. I'm thinking of just building a poor mans GTIR sr20det instead. Ingredients

1.SR20DE shortblock

2.SR20DET(s13)cylinder head

3.GTIR rods and pistons

4.GTIR intake manifold with reversed plenum

5.SR20DET RWD exhaust manifold

6.GTIR T28 snail.

Should be under 1000 for everything including the adapter plate and MSnS.