HybridZ

FRONT Gas Tank

DAW

I'm measuring for an engine transplant into a '72 240Z, it's a 2.5L Maserati aluminum block/heads V6 twin turbo. It's pretty compact and even though it has a front sump oilpan it only measures 18" from the front of the sump to the end of the block where it meets bellhousing. I't only 9" from the stock Biturbo front mount point to the back of the block. Lining it up with the Zcar, the front of the sump can be behind the Z crossmember and I would build mount legs out from where the tension rod boxes are. The engine is pretty light...and it leaves a lot of real estate up front...so what if I get rid of the gastank in the back and put a fuel cell or maybe a plastic tank like out of a newer Volvo up front? In conjunction with this I move the battery into the spare tire well on the right side, and install the spare (I use RX7 4-lug alloy low-volume spares) under the car using a carriage/frame setup (stows below the tire well where the fuel tank used to be). This could also free up some space under the car for exhaust pipe routing.

On the street I'm more likely to get rear-ended than hit someone (unless I change my driving style) as I've been a good driver. It does make me a little nervous having gas out in front but weren't old VWs, Porsche 914 and some others front-tanked? I think the lower engine weight and mounting location vs the stock L6 makes for less polar moment (and I'm probably butchering or mis-using those terms) which means I can afford the weight out there in front without trading off any significant weight distribution %. DAW

I would leave the battery up front and keep the tank in the rear. If you are wanting more weight on the front because the engine sits so far back, mount the engine a little farther foward. Where will the shifter be in relation to the stock shifter? You could also use a smaller cell in the rear. 10 to 12 gallons would save weight also.