HybridZ

R-200 from turbo ZX into 77 280Z

Guest Locutus

Guest Anonymous

Well Jeromio sorry for the miss spelling. No hard feelings. I have both flanges in hand & the difference is substantial. The original z flanges are not big enough to put any of the bolt holes for the c.v. shaft.

Glenn

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, now I'm just beating dead horses, but from the drawing for the adapter and the actual pictures of the parts bolted together, the CV flange end is actually a smaller diameter than the 280Z companion flange.

Granted I'm sure it would be easier to just buy the part since it sounds like the group machine shop purchase thing is working out, but wouldn't that extra inch that the adapter consumes help with the tightness/CV travel issue?

• 4 weeks later...

jeromio,

Sorry I missed your post. The bolt circle (4 bolts) of the 280Z (or 240Z) companion flange is less than 3.5 inches in diameter. The bolt circle (6 bolts) on the CV shafts is more like 5 inches. Ain't no way they can mate without an adapter or a plate welded to the 280Z companion flange to make it's diameter larger to accept the 6 bolts of the CV shaft. I guess you're confusing the bolt circles with one another. Hey, I'm a mechanical engineer, and I had trouble picturing the actual part from those drawings the first time I saw them!

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@tidalwave.net">pparaska@tidalwave.net -

Okay. I was confused - I thought that the Outer Adapter and the companion flange were the same part. It did seem odd to have both the 4 bolt set and the 3 bolt set on the same part, but, there you go. The Annotated picture cleared that up.

And welding an Outer Adapter type part with a 6 bolt (triple pair like the CV joint flange) hole pattern to the companion flange was already discussed, since that's what Scottie did.....

Okay. I'm all done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...