HybridZ

newbie, please be kind

Guest AZ_Towman

Guest AZ_Towman

my current project is putting an injected 280 motor into a 72 240 for my wife to drive. i am considering putting a V8 into the 280 that now has an empty engine compartment. any first steps to take to prevent mistakes any of you have made that you would like to share? should be getting started w/in the next 60 - 90 days.

thanks in advance

Welcome Towman! What are your goals for your project? Do you want to build the all out fastest Z around, daily driver, a bit of both? Do you want to get done in the next year, or is your timetable sometime within the next decade?

I would fist of all suggest that you beef up the suspension/brakes first to match your desired power output. Lots of info on that here.

Oh, and if you are using a SBC as opposed to an LSX, get the Jags book. It's precious.

Welcome aboard, you are in luck. I know of several (about 7 that I know of) V8 swapped cars here in the valley. I have both a V8 swap and a turbo swap. I agree with Silicone and have a goal in mind to start with then research research research.

Guest AZ_Towman

Thanks for the warm welcome. My goal is to create a weekend driver that will scare me if I'm not careful. As far as time frame, I would like to finish w/in the next 12 - 24 months. I currently have a 305 Chevy and I think I have a turbo 400 trannie laying around. I guess I'll be going SBC (I don't know what LSX is). So let me know what the Jags book is and I will pick one up. As far as Zs go, I have a 1978 280Z and a 1980 300ZX to work with. Not sure about the pros/cons of using one over the other. I look forward to getting started on this and picking all your brains on the subject. Gotta finish momma's car first, though.

LSX= Ls1/ls2/ls6... and of the newer LS Series engines.

As for your car choices, the first gen 280Z path has been travelled many more times than the 300ZX swap. It's by no means impossible, in fact there are a couple memberes on here with a sbc into a 300zx, but the first gen is by far more popular. An extra bonus, the Jags book focuses specifically on this style of Z.

LS1 would be my choice, with an M6 you would have about 320 whp and a car that idles smooth, gets 30 highway mpg and sound amazing when you rip on it. should be more than enough to scare you. and if it isnt, cam it, then ew are talking some serious hp. only downside to the LSx swaps is the inital cost (2000-5000), but to get a sbc into that hp level would cost you as much or more.

Guest tony78_280z

In my opinion, I'd definatly put the GM motor into the 280... you'll get more support from this site by people who have done it, and in my opinion putting a gm motor into a 300zx is kind-a dumb. I think that motor is quick enough as it is, and should be easy to improve for extra umph with with exhuast or intake upgrades. I drove a 300zxT once, wow was that a fun ride.

If I were to do it again (well, actually, I would do an LS1 because I like torture) the easy way, I would get a ZZ4 crate engine or even the GM 383 stroker engine and do it the JTR way. You would get a reliable screamer that you could drive all day. I got distracted during my build and now I've got more motor than I needed that is somewhat less reliable--I certainly wouldn't drive it outside of a 100 mile radius from my house.

I think a caddy 500 would make for a nice swap, the 70 with an aluminum intake would weight about 40 lbs more than a SBC, and makes close to 400 hp and over 500 lb of torque. Hook it up to a nice overdrive auto and have a great sleeper. Might be a little tougher to fit, but my next one will go this route because it's alot cheaper than the LS1 I have now and parts are abundant.