HybridZ

T-56 6 speed question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I was looking at some T-56 transmissions this weekend. I have a question for anyone running one in there Z. How do you handle the electronic signal for the speedo ? Since I will be running a carbed setup there will be no computer in the car. If there are any suggestions please send them my way. Thanks in advance.

John..

What I did was buy an electronic Speedo (Had a VDO, but am now going with Autometer) and run the wire down to the speedo sensor. Works great and VDO recommended I use the factory T56 sender over the unit they supplied. VDO unit runs about $130 and the Autometer unit runs about $200.

Mike

------------------

http://hometown.aol.com/dat74z/myhomepage/auto.html

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Guest Anonymous

Doesn't JTR sell an adapter that has a driven gear for mechanical speedometers? Seems I remember somethong about that. Or, maybe I'm suffering from some sort of brain cloud?

Larry

I'll bet that after awhile you'll want aftermarket gauges anyway - right? Th eholes are a perfect fit for 25/8th and 5inch gauges... I'd suggest going with AutoMeter 5inch gauges in the dash and making one of them an electronic speedo - problem solved. No goofy adapters to worry about and no mods to th etailshaft housing...

I am installing a LT1/T56 combo in my '73 240Z. For the speedo I'm going with an electronic Autometer 5" (160mph wink.gif). It is easy to hook-up an electronic speedo since the T56 already uses a vehicle speed sensor (VSS). I quote from the Autometer site:

"For most late model applications, our speedos can directly connect to the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) to derive the signal needed to operate, and show the vehicle speed. But, you will need to take this signal DIRECTLY from the VSS, and not from the computer, as the signal after the computer is buffered (conditioned) and our speedos will not recognize that type of signal, so the raw signal from the VSS is the wire to be connected to. Finding which wire is the signal is usually quite simple, as the signal wire will produce anywhere from 2v up to 120v DC peak to peak, so you can test for that signal with a standard multimeter (the voltage should increase with the vehicle speed). Otherwise, you can look in a service manual for the signal wire, or if you can't find it anywhere, contact us and we'll see if we have the information."

Guest Anonymous

Yeah another cool thing about the autometer speedo is its self calibrating. I'm not sure the specifics as to how its done as I havn't seen one yet (I may end up with one, thats another story), but you push a button to calibrate it to your setup while cruising. At least thats what the ad copy says.

The JTR kit according to they're website material involves a rework of the tailshaft and its near $300.00. I'd go autometer, pocket the exta c-note and be in the wind.

Lone

Guest Anonymous

I have a cable-x with a Smith's mechanical speedometer on my car-It works fine, but it is not the smoothest setup, as the needle bobs up and down when starting from a stop.

The autometer programmable speedo was not available when I bought mine-I would definitely go that way if i did it again.

JTR will convert your tailshaft with a mechanical output,but it will cost you $275.

------------------

Tony

1972 240Z w/ZZ430/T56/GTO body kit