HybridZ

turbo upgrade

Guest 240zxtstar

Guest 240zxtstar

i'm swaping in l28et into my 240z. but before i put the motor in I want to upgrade the turbo setup. So my question is : What setup should i use as far as turbo, wastegate, bov, intercooler and how to manage the boost fuel/air safely. Thank you for any help.

I'm new to this site and was referD here by members from zcar.com

so thanks again for any info.

Guest 240zxtstar

well as far as the turbo i just want like the next level up. maybe like a t3/t4 or a t4. money not really an issue. I wana run about 7-9psi. What would be a good setup for this turbo? What turbos can i use? such as turbo from what cars? 240sx, Z31, Z32......

I didn't think the UDM 240sx came turbocharged?

I'm not sure that you need an upgraded turbocharger to run 9psi. Sure you will make more power on 9psi with a GT42R than you will on 9psi with a stock T3 (because of the larger exhaust housing reducing intake charger reversion).

But increasing the size of the turbocharger to run the sort of boost (and flow) that the stock unit is easily capable of seems a bit silly to me.

Why don't you want to run 7-9 on the stock turbo?

Dave

Money is not an issue but you want to use a turbo from another Nissan model? A Z31 turbo isn't any bigger than what you have. 7 psi is stock. If you only want 9 psi don't bother swapping turbo, WG, BOV, because it's not needed with 9 psi. If you are serious run atleast 16 psi. 60-1 T4 or GT35r if you have the money and you'll make power. The GT35R is T3 flanged, would be easier to install but still require welding. Leave the T3/4's for the 4 cylinder guys.

If your just looking for a mild upgrade , check with some of the japanese engine exchanges.An adaptor plate could be made and a CT26 turbo from a 3rd gen Supra could be used.The last one I bought was $90 and the units are a small T4 and capable of up to 300rwh.I ran 12.6@ 106 with one of these units with race gas and 14psi.

If all you want is 9psi, just uprade to a really nice exhaust and you should run that all day long on the stock T3. It worked for me, of course since then I've added water injection and a manual boost controller and have been pushing that same T3 to 14-16psi. The only other mods I've made is a z31 ecu and a dsm BOV

Guest 240zxtstar

thanks guys for the help. I'm not against running more boost than 9psi, Just didnt know how much you can run on the stock motor. How high can i go with the stock turbo? And what else will i have to do to keep it running safe and reliable at a high boost? thanks

Well the more boost you run the less safety factor you have.. there are no garantee's. I would say I've pretty much maxed out my stock turbo without any issues. I've seen people push the stock block over 20psi however (with a bigger turbo obviously) To push it hard you have to have good air/fuel management and a way of cooling the intake charge (intercooler and/or water/alky injection) I wouldn't go past 9 without those upgrades.