HybridZ

JTR manual Question

Guest p-i-l-o-t

Guest p-i-l-o-t

I'm planning an LS1/4l60e swap into my 78 280z 2+2 and I've got some sipmle questions. Please be gentle, I've been reading post and using the search function for many long nights.

Since the JTR book is focused on the SBC, and the LS1 is a completly different engine, how much of the book can I actually use?

What are the best years and models to look for in a donor car?

I've got $10000 to spend on the swap, and I'm ready to start. I appreiciate your help very much,

Thanks,

Justin

2000 and on F body engines are suppose to have some worthwhile oiling changes. 2001 and 2002 engines have better heads and the more desireable LS6 intakes. LS2 engines out of the later GTO's have all of the above and a 4" bore. More potential there, but there are come changes that will need to be done. Look up a member called Ulissies (sp?). His GTO/LS2 powered Z should be about on the road now. Truck/Escalade engines have iron blocks and the same 4" bore, and make better forced induction platforms. But they have issues with intakes and oil pans. The aluminum blocks from the vettes, f bodies and GTO's are probably a better choice for a Z.

The JTR book will give you some good ideas on suspensions, transmission cross members and exhaust. It also has much needed info on guages, cooling and rerouting the brake/fuel lines. Worth the 35 bucks or so even though it won't let you cook book the entire swap like it does for a gen 1 SBC.

Guest p-i-l-o-t

Thanks so much. I assume there's no good books on the LS1 swap then. The only LS1 mounts I've found are the jci ones. I've read about them, but couldn't find any real user feedback as far as design and quality. Is there a better option, or should I post this under another thread?

...I've read about them, but couldn't find any real user feedback as far as design and quality. Is there a better option...?

Nope, that's it as far as I know if you want a "kit." Nothing wrong with that IMO.

Davy

Thanks so much. I assume there's no good books on the LS1 swap then. The only LS1 mounts I've found are the jci ones. I've read about them, but couldn't find any real user feedback as far as design and quality. Is there a better option, or should I post this under another thread?

I am using the JCI LS1 mounts in my 240Z. I will tell you that they are well designed, made from the highest quality stuff,will bolt in, place the motor and trans in the right position, they clear the steering and for the money can not be beat. Yes you pay $300 for a set of mounts for the motor, but they include stiffener plates for the flimsy stock Z car motor mount towers and the time they will save you is worth the $300 alone.

On_the_Road_240Z_LS1_and_510_godbye_053.jpg

LS1_240Z_at_shop_004.jpg

There are plenty of guys that have made their on mounts too. But the JCI mounts make it almost fool proof for only $300.

There is enough to do on an LS1 swap that will keep you busy without fabricating motor mounts too..