HybridZ

Thinking of going RB25/Could I pull it off?

violacleff

Ok tell me if I'm being realistic here.

I have a budget of 4k (give $500)

Here's what I already have.

T4 turbo,

External WG

Haltech

Exhaust

IC piping

Aeromotive FPR

Walbro Fuel pump

Bov

Here's what I need (and what I think I need)

RB25 2k

Manifold $200 (ss autochrome with brace so it doesn't crack)

Ebay IC (mines crushed)

Mounts $???

Custom driveshaft $300????

I also have 500cc injectors that I heard would work with a pallnet rb25 fuel rail. Can someone validate this? The are currently on the JSK rail which I would sell. I also figured I could sell the harness/ecu/injectors and all the sensors I don't need.

I'd like to have a Greddy intake and ACT Clutch when I swap so I don't have to redo IC piping and take the tranny off again, but that would probably be over my budget.

Anything I'm missing? Am I dreaming here or could I come close the budget?

If you were using a turbo clutch with the old set you should be able to use it on the rb25 flywheel as well. I ran my 240mm l28 clutch on my rb25 for some time before going to the automatic. I don't see why you couldn't do it for $4000, already having what you have. I spent considerably more than that but I spent quite a bit on things I didn't really have to have.

Also, I paid $1800-1900 shipped for my rb25 motorset. After selling the ECU, igniter, turbo, and other stuff I didn't need I got back $500 so I only had an investment of ~$1300 in the longbock/transmission.

JT

Maybe I'll ditch the manifold to start and just use the stocker to save money.

I'm thinking I could stretch to a 5k budget if I had too.

JTaylor, I'm running an ACT 6 puck now. Your'e saying I could swap that over to the RB? That would be sweet as it's barely broken in.

My setup is good for well over 300hp, but I might have a good deal on a trade for the engine. I like the RB for the strength of the tranny, and the ability to run more boost on 91 octane than an L. Don't have any dyno numbers. I'm running a haltech e6x.

I have that listed in the original post. I found a motor and tranny for $1800 and will be picking it up in about two weeks. I'm hoping to have all my panels swapped in the next two weeks. Once that's done, I'm going to start putting the rb motor together.

The motor I'm getting has about 36k miles on it. Is there any reason I should need to change the oil and water pump at this low of mileage?

JTaylor,

I was wondering who fabbed up your tranny mount and whether or not you had to cut the two sides where the bolt goes through? Or did you have the mount made to work with the tranny tunnels? (not sure what they're called). If welding must be done, then I'll take the car and motor to the shop to be dropped in. If I could get a tranny mount that would bolt in (like Q was working on) that would be ideal and would save about a grand.

I went ahead and put the n1 water pump on my car before the engine went in. I believe that was all I changed.

Yeah, I took the clutch off my L28 turbo and put it directly onto the rb flywheel.

My car is a 280 so the factory trans mount is a little diferent than your 240z mount I believe. I had to cut the "ears" off the tunel and a buddy of mine fabbed some new ones up and welded them on the tunnel in the appropriate place to mount the rb trans. He also welded some steel plate to the tunnel first to weld the new ears onto.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

JT