HybridZ

Caprice vs Camaro LT1

There are a couple of threads where people ask about getting an LT1 out of a Caprice (cop car) or out of an Camaro (f-body). I thought it would be nice to have a thread that lists the specifics of each engine. Here's what I've been able to find (please feel free to correct me if anything is incorrect).

Horsepower/Torque

(94 - 96) Caprice 260/330

(94 - 95) Camaro 275/325

(96) Camaro 285/325

The Camaro engine has an approximate 50 lbs savings by having aluminum heads instead of cast iron heads. The cast iron Caprice heads had better "flow" than the 94 - 95 Camaro heads, but in 96 the Camaro aluminum heads had the same flow as the Caprice cast iron head and therefore achieved a 10 hp gain.

Here are the other differences I was able to find:

Camaro

Compression: 10.5:1

Cam/valve lift specs: .450/.460 (int/exh)

Valve springs: 268 lb/in

Valve spring od: 1.300"

Valve spring inst ht: 1.78"

MAF id: 3.5"

Caprice

Compression:10.0:1

Cam/valve lift specs: .417/.429 (int/exh)

Valve springs: 393 lb/in

Valve spring od: 1.241"

Valve spring inst ht: 1.70"

MAF id: 3.25"

Guest 73TPIZ

Bartman,

it's been said the '95 f-body is a good year because it has the better opti spark as well as still being OBD-I. Do you know if this is true for the b-bodies (Caprice and Roadmaster) as well?

thanks,

Bartman' date='

it's been said the '95 f-body is a good year because it has the better opti spark as well as still being OBD-I. Do you know if this is true for the b-bodies (Caprice and Roadmaster) as well?

thanks,[/quote']

Yes, this true of the Caprice/Impala SS/Roadmaster as well.

Bartman,

Where did you find the info on the valve springs. I was under the impression that the iron head LT1s stock valve springs were much lighter than you listed, more on the order 180 lbs/in. The aftermarket HP springs I installed weren't even listed as high as the stock numbers you give. The OD and installed height are correct though.

The iron heads are straight plug, the aluminum are angled plug.

The PCMs all appear to be interchangable. A reprogram would be required if the tranny type is different.

The T56 VSS puts out 17 pulses/rev.

The 4L60E VSS puts out 40 pulses/rev.

The B-Bodies were only available with the 4L60E transmission.

Wheelman

The 95 has an OBDII computer, but is only required to meet OBDI regulations. This is good because the OBDII computer is flash reprogramable (i.e. use a laptop vs. burning new chips). But OBDI regs are good if you are subject to smog laws and inspections. OBDII requires the after cat O2 sensors and possibly the ABS wheel sensors, depending on how big a prick you are dealing with at the referee station.

Bartman' date='

Where did you find the info on the valve springs. I was under the impression that the iron head LT1s stock valve springs were much lighter than you listed, more on the order 180 lbs/in. The aftermarket HP springs I installed weren't even listed as high as the stock numbers you give. The OD and installed height are correct though.[/quote']I found several sites with information regarding LT1 specifics. Here's a thread that specifically talks about the valve spring rates (of course it could be listed incorrectly).:shock:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t234717.html

In the not too distant future I'm going to want to determine how to get the most bang for my buck in upgrades.

Guest DaMeat

Although not exactly the engine, another difference is the wiring loom... I guess the Camaro loom is easier to mount the computer on the firewall. I have the Caprice motor and I decided on mounting my computer at the front of the car, under where most people put their cold air intake system...

I put my computer on the right side front frame rail right behind the radiator core support. To do it I had to rebuild the wiring harness but I planned on doing that anyway. Worked out well for me. I considered putting it on the driver's side but ran the oiler cooler lines there and they interfered with where the computer would have been. The only issue I have with where I have mine is the radiator fill is on the same side, I have to be careful when putting coolant in the system.

Pop,

I don't think the 95 is an OBDII computer, there are no pins for the after cat O2 sensors. But you are correct about them being flash programmable.

Wheelman