HybridZ

Thank you Gray Davis [not political] it's actually about a welder...

I've got some scholarship money left over, from my governer's scholar awards... I had the bright idea to try to buy a Tig welder. i've got about 1200, but i don't mind going a fair bit over that.

Now, i was thinking of the miller synchrowave 200, or econotig. Anyone have any thought's, comment's, or suggestions?

well the synchrowave is the bigger than a dishwasher and the econotig weight 13 pounds...you should save $3 grandand buy a Dynasty 200DX. with the 200dx you can weld on steel, stainless steel, and aluminium. you can also do almost any other metal as long as you have the filler rods for it. I have used a Dynasty 200 DX for a good while. plus it weighs 45 pounds so you can carry it.

I would avoid the econotig, save the cash and buy something more capable. I have the 180SD, which became the 200 syncho. I like it, but for heavy IC work you may need more current. I can use a friends lincoln 275 so it's not a big worry.

An inverter machine like the Dynasty would be nice, but they are very pricey still. Way more portable though.

i talked to my welding teacher today, and he's going to call a salesman he's known for 20 years...I told him i already found the dynasty 200 dx for about 2500 [cyberweld] so i'm hopin i can get an awesome deal on it.

i don't think thats a lot of money for such a welder...it should pay for itself many times over.

thanks

but that $2500 does not include everything...you still have to buy the $500 contractor package with the TIG torch and Stick electrode holder (why not?) while you are at it you should build something to secure it...I mean it is 45 pounds and would be easy to steal...so you would want to secure it to something very heavy with a lock or two...

• 1 month later...

ok. now i've got the money in the bank... and while i would love a miller 200dx, it'd take me a couple months to save up that much...

so now i'm looking at the hobart tigmate 150 amp [500425] or the precision tig 185...

i'll be welding a diff mount, maybe motor mounts, intercooler piping, exhaust manifold, maybe welding on some cast aluminum

any suggestions?

i'll probably pick up a victor cutting and welding outfit next month too, to handle heavier stuff if the need arises...

help me.. i'm ready to push that buy it now button...

Either of the Miller or Lincoln 175-185 TIG welders will do ANYTHING you ever plan to weld on your car. Both machines are good and can be repaired easily if something goes wrong. Personally, I would purchase from the welding supply store that gives you the best support and makes you feel the most comfortable - as long as the price was within about 10% of the cheapest price you can find. Maybe pay a little more and get them to throw in a nice auto-dimming helmet, gloves, filler, etc.

Here's another one to look at. The ThermalDyne Thermal Arc TA 185TSW. I don't own one of these (yet) but they get great reviews over on the forums at www.hobartwelders.com

http://cgi.ebay.com/THERMAL-ARC-PRO-WAVE-185TSW-TIG-STICK-WELDER-10-3073A-1_W0QQitemZ7620127429QQcategoryZ113743QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Not much more than what you already have to spend