HybridZ

Fuel tank modification for SBC

ok, i dont know if this should go here or in the fuel delivery fourm, but i thought that would get better response being that this is for a SBC Z car. I dont want a fuel cell. I just want the stock tank, but modified. I know people have done this...I want to have the tank "renu'd" with bigger 1/2 or 3/8 feed and return lines inside to replace the smaller 5/16 and 3/16 feed and return lines. I also want the tank to be cleaned and sealed. I was quoted $500 for this service and i hear people talking about it being done for much cheaper. I live in the California bay area...is there anyplace around here that is recomended? I have the tank removed and can drive it or ship it where ever i need to. I really dont feel like spending $500 when i have heard of it done for $200-$300. Any ideas? Thanks

The most difficult part about modifying a tank to me is sumping it. That was the most time consuming part. My tank is an old 72 carbureted tank so I had to either sump it or run a later model fuel injected tank.

If all you want to do is add larger fuel lines there may be an easier way. On my tank I drilled out the original lines and simply bolted in AN style bulk head fitting with viton 0-rings. On the inside of the tank I ran a pickup made of aluminum lines that ran into the sump. I had the bottom of the tank cut open at the time and I riveted a bracket that held down the pickup. I'm not so sure the riveting was absolutely necessary.

As far as sealing and treating the tank I had great success with the Eastwood kit. I prepped the tank from what others have done on this site, a soapy rinse, followed by an alchol rinse. Then using my truck exhaust to dry the tank out worked great. Following the Eastwood directions I used muriatic acid to take out the rust and other junk followed by an acetone rinse. Then you coat the raw metal surface with some sort of treatment, I forgot what it was now but it turned the shiny metal to like a cadium plated metal.

Rinse the tank with alchohol and pour in the sealer. It looks like elmers blue and you slosh it around the whole tank turning every which way and upside down. I finished the tank, sumped and sealed in two weekends for under $100.

you dont cut the tank out and put the sump on, you simply cut out 4 or so round holes where the sump will sit and weld the sump after. this will create a natural baffle that works great

a lot of people cut more holes which negates the effect, 3-4 1" holes is plenty for the fuel to get through and into the sump, check out my sump, i got it from a board member because it fits way better then anything else, is contoured to the tank and only hangs 1.5" lower then the tank, i tried the summit sumps, they are too big and too deep

3e75240e.jpg

Guest tony78_280z

Gas Tank: My gas tank has been boiled out (three times by a radiator shop for $50.00) then sealed with POR15 Gas Tank kit. I undercoated the entire outside. I will never need to worry about rust and crud in my tank again.

So i flushed the tank with water and cut off the outlet and return nipples that stick out on the side. Then i used a 1/2 inch drill and drilled out the tubes. I took the tank down to a shop with the original syphin tube and they are going to bend a new one that matches the old small tube out of 1/2 stainless tubing. Then weld it in with the appropriate AN fittings for about $70. This will result in the stock tank with bigger 1/2 inch internal lines. Then im going to take the tank to a radiator shop and have them boil it out, seal and coat it for another $100. In the end i will have a fresh new tank with the flow capacity for a very hungry V8 for a little under $200. I will have pictures comming.