HybridZ

LT1 upgrade will start in gear, how to fix??

JTR book covers this. I don't remember the exact answer but it involved a switch that is activated by a depressed clutch pedal. I never did anything about it either. Just remember to have the clutch in or the car out of gear. It would be safer to not start in gear.

Check your tranny to see if it has a neutral switch installed? If it does then you need to hook up a starter relay that connects to this neutral switch. It's really simple if you have the switch in the trans. The switch should have 2 wires coming out. If it's in gear the 2 wires are disconnect. If it's in neutral then the 2 wires connect. Get a relay and you should hook it up as follow:

Pin 85 - Input Start wire from ignition

Pin 86 - to 1 of the wire from the neutral switch

Pin 30 - Connect to Pin 85

Pin 87 - Output to the starter.

Pin 87A - Not used.

Connect the other wire of the neutral switch to ground.

If you don't have a neutral switch in the tranny then you need to hook up a switch at your clutch pedal. Again you will need to use a relay to interface the switch and the starter. The hook up is a bit different because the switch is opposite now. This switch is normally open until you press on it. However when the pedal is not depress it is resting on the switch and therefore forcing it making contact. Therefore you have to use the reverse logic as below. Unless you can find a switch that is normally close and when press on it it becomes open then you can hook it up exactly like the above direction.

Pin 85 - input Start wire from ignition

pin 86 - to 1 of the wire on the switch

pin 30 - Connect to Pin 85

Pin 87A - Output to the starter

Pin 87 - Not used.

Connect the other wire of the neutral switch to ground.

The best and safest way to hook it up is thru the neutral switch in the trans. But you still need to couple that with the clutch pedal switch for add protection. Good luck

I have my LT1 installed in my 280Z and was just reading old posts and realized I never addressed the problem of the car starting in gear.

I installed the T56.. The issue never even dawned on me..

Can someone tell me how to address this issue?

Just curious why you would want to start your car in gear? I assume mine has this same issue, but I see no reason to change it...in fact it sounds liks something I would want to have.

Bartman,

I don't want to start it in gear, I know a guy who was building a very expensive sports car and went out to the garage to let his freind hear it run and he reached in the door and turned the key, of course it started right up and took off through the garage door..

I can just see myself making such a stupid mistake...

Bartman' date='

I don't want to start it in gear, I know a guy who was building a very expensive sports car and went out to the garage to let his freind hear it run and he reached in the door and turned the key, of course it started right up and took off through the garage door..

I can just see myself making such a stupid mistake...[/quote']I quess I'm misunderstanding the problem. I thought you were wanting to disable a feature that prevents you from starting while your car is in gear. You actually want to add this feature.

I would like this as well, as my daughter almost did the same thing that you described...luckily my wife stopped her before she got a chance to crank it over.

Guys the parking brakes will not stop your car from jerking if you start it in gear. My BW T5 from 1983 has this neutral switch in it. Most of the newer trans should have this neutral switches built in. If the trans don't have the neutral switch the least you can do is install a switch at the clutch pedal. It is very dangerous without any of these 2 protection against manual trans car.

This comes from a different angle but I dont see the need for a switch, although if you have one I would not remove it.

Driver ed in the UK is much tougher than here and untill I came to the states I had never heard of anyone not using the hand brake and always checking a manual before starting, it's just drilled into you and you don't forget.

Similarly here in NJ I often see the few manual trasmission drivers try to leap their feet from the brake to gas and let the clutch out to start up a hill. Obvously this is dangerous as they roll backwards a fair bit. Avoiding this is the primary use of the hand brake in my opinion, to hold the car still on a hill start, whilst you get the clutch biting and then pull away releasing the hand brake. You cannot pass the UK driving test unless you can start up hill without rolling back in a manual.

Mike